Best Carbon Fibre Record Brush
Oct 10, 2003 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SP00N

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to choose a replacement dry brush for pre listening dusting and would like to get a carbon fibre one. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward the Hunt or Decca but Audioquest, Clearaudio and others all have similarly attractive offerings. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 10, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Spoon,
I'd get the Hunt. I have the AQ and it just doesn't do it for me. It tends to leave particles in the grooves that are hard to brush out. I think the Hunt actually picks up the debrie.
md

Oct 10, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 8
QED once had a nice brush which I was very happy with. It had two small carbon fibre brushes along the long edges and a comparatively broad velvet cushion in between. It worked great. I'd look for a similar construction, if I needed a new one...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 10, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I just ordered the Hunt. Are the brush fibres treated in some way that causes the debris to stick to them?

Oct 10, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 8
I like the Decca 2+2 because it doesn't have the velvet pad brush where you need to press down hard on the record to clean it.
The Decca is just two different length brushes.

Oct 31, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 8
The correct way to use a carbon-fibre brush is to touch a grounded metal surface while rotating the brush and then draw it toward you, in a line directly away from the spindle of the turntable. The static electricity causes the dust to stick to the bristles.

You then brush off the dust using the rotating feature (Audioquest) or the plastic stand with the little offset piece (Decca).

Some Audio Asylum members have received defective Hunt brushes that actually scratch the records.

Duane Goldman, of the Disc Doctor Miracle Cleaner (the best wet-brush cleaning system) recommends the Audioquest brush.

J!

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Huh, I use the AQ and find it merely OK. The "draw away from spindle" technique is pretty tricky unless you're prepared to do it about four times. I usually use a felty brush to pick stuff up, then the AQ to bust the static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back