best cans with D-25S, unamped?
Dec 2, 2002 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone tell me what the best set of cans would be for use with a Sony D-25S, unamped? It will be used for bedside listening or at my desk. Here are the choices I have so far:

AKG K240S
AKG K141S
Sony MDR-V6
Senn HD280 Pro

I listen to alot of rock, and hip hop, pop, a little jazz, and no classical stuff. So what are everyone's recommendations? I'm trying to keep it around the $100 mark.

thanks!
appar111

Dec 2, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi appar111,

I have the D25S and 280 combo. I wouldn't recommend it without an amp. It's ok but both have a slight tendency towards a light bass and brightness. Put them together and the mix can become abrasive on some of the worst recordings. I use a Cmoy between the two which helps matters quite a bit.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 4
appar111,

I have the D25S and I use it both with the Grado SR80's and Senn HD580's unamped. With the Grado's it gets too bright and fatiguing, so generally I don't use that combo. With the Senns it sounds good but there's definitely something missing (which is why I have an amp on the way).

I have actually heard the D25S with the AKG 240S, but I didn't really get a chance to do a long audition. From my quick impressions they sounded better than the Grado's, with a fuller richer sound (not as bright). I didn't have my Senns at that point so I can't really compare the two. Plus the 240S is semi-sealed, while both the Grado and Senn 580 are open.

Oh yeah, I listen to rock, jazz, and a bit of classical. If you're willing to go a bit over budget, I think the Senn 580's are good (I think they are good for all types of music, despite what others say). I think you can get them for ~$120 some places online. I can't say much about the choices you listed there since I haven't really heard any of them.

cheers, chewmanji.

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 4
why not spring for ER6s? if not, alessandro ms1s have been getting rave reviews...both are acceptable straight out of a CD player.

I have the HD580s and while they sound good from an unamped source (computer, cd player, etc) it is extremely dark compared to an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back