Best cans under $200 for shoegaze rock?
Jun 24, 2007 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GermaniumGenie

Head-Fier
Hi. I listen to a lot of shoegaze, and though it sounds great on my Alessandro MS-1's, I want to step it up a bit (maybe to something more comfortable too if that does not sacrifice sound quality). I love hearing the detail in music, but I want it to sound uncolored this time...like it sounded in the recording studio. My sources are an Auzentech X-Meridian sound card on my computer and soon an iRiver Clix 2. What do you recommend?

Here are some of my favorite bands, if that helps:

Autolux, Belle and Sebastian, Chapterhouse, Cocteau Twins, Coldplay, Cornelius, Deerhoof, Dinosaur Jr., Doves, Echo and the Bunnymen, Fiery Furnaces, Galaxie 500, Grandaddy, Jesus and Mary Chain, Joy Division, King Crimson, Lilys, Loop, Lush, Modest Mouse, My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana, Opeth, Pavement, Pale Saints, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Prodigy, Radio Dept., Radiohead, Ride, Slowdive, Spacemen 3, Smiths, Strokes, Sunny Day in Glasgow, Telescopes, Velvet Underground, Yo La Tengo

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 6
I recommend that you and I share a sweet taste in music.
I use grado sr80's myself. Considering a lot of shoegaze and late 80's early 90's alternative/indie rock was catered more towards making the best music ever with a lot of noise rather than audiophile standard albums, I'm content with my sr-80s.

I just couldn't imagine listening to loveless remastered...

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm looking for something myself. Early nineties indie tends to be quite thin/tinny sounding, so I think the AKG k240s might be suitable. BTW if you like this type of music you should check out early Boo Radley's. Everything's Alright Forever is a classic of the era!

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I love shoegaze and I listen to it through my Grados and something really surprised me the other day. I found that my cheap ($100) iBasso T2 amp out of my iPod improved the sound so much that it was like almost buying a new pair of headphones. The iBassos gave my SR-80s and 325is soundstage...the vocals were no longer so upfront...they were further back and the overall presentation sounded more 3D. I had the crossfeed and bass booster on, and to me, it made a big difference.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 6
My gear is in my sig, but we have very similar tastes in music, so I'm posting to recommend: Ulrich Schnauss (highly recommended), Rumskib, Asobi Seksu, The Radio Dept, Manual, and Maps. There's been a lot of really good newgaze out recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back