Best cans under 150 for use w/ PC/games/MP3s/DVDs/etc. without amp?
Jun 2, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sean

New Head-Fier
A while back I bought a pair of Denon AH-D950s to use with my PC. I am happy with this purchase, although I don't have anything to compare the quality of my purchase to. This is what I need your help for.

My friend is now going to buy some cans for his PC, and although I do like my 950s, I can't help but wonder if the V6s were the better choice. He will use his cans similar to me; meaning, he'll use them for games like Counter-Strike, or listneing to MP3s, watching DVDs, etc.

At the end, when I was choosing to buy the headphones, the choice was narrowed down between the Sony V6 and the Denons. Remember, this is for use straight out my soundcard--no amp involved. From what I understood, each one had its strengths:

Sony V6:
1. Best positional sound.
2. Very "precise" and "revealing". Good for use with games, but not suggested for use with MP3s.

Denon 950s:
1. Good positional audio, but not as strong as the V6.
2. Very "musical' and "precise", but not "revealing" due to being "musical"--so better for listening to MP3s with. Which I do a lot.

Both work great without an amp--or so I've been told--and both have nice, clean bass.

Also, have there been new headphones developed over the last year-or-so that are better? What should I suggest to my friend? Also, I forgot where I bought my headphones online--something like "djshack"--and if someone can give me the URL to a good headphone site, like the one I bought my Denons from, that would be really helpful.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 6
I'd sugest Byerdynamic 250-80s. Meier-audio.com is the only place that has them close to your price range. I like them as being closed I did not have to worry about what my room mate was listening to nor distrubing him when he was working nights. They have great bass responce which I happen to like and they don't show all the faults in computer sourced music while still sounding good. I'm useing 770pro's now so I'm going off what I remember about the 80s but I know other people on the board have them and can give better recomendations.

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 6
You did say under $150 but what about under $50??

The Koss KSC-35s can't be beat for thier price.

After that I would consider the Sony MDR-7506(V6) or the Beyer 250-80s.

Check-out some of the headphone offerings at headphone.com. They are quite honest with thier reviews.

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Grado's dont give the accurate positioning that, IMO, is so important for gaming...

I'm thinking that the DT250-80 is the next DEFINITE sound quality step up from the V6's or 950's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back