Best cans for under 50$ for EDM?
Nov 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rajey

New Head-Fier
Greetings, newcomer here.

I've been searching around for a pair of headphones that sound great with electronic music (progressive House/trance/deep house/techno/dubstep/DnB, you get the idea). Have read countless reviews on budget headphones which are apparently great value in terms of price-performance, but I'm still a little lost as to which will cater to my sound ideally?

Preference  is towards on-the-ear rather than over as I've just had better experience with the former, then again I may have been using rubbish over-the-ears which made me dislike them.

Open to any recommendations obviously, from IEM's to over-the-ears, whatever is best for the price and caters to my tastes will be fine.

Again, on a tight budget so I can't go for M50's or anything of the sort, here's a list of the budget ones that I've read reviews on and am considering. Any advice much appreciated.

1. Koss PortaPro (these are everywhere, apparently emphasis is on bass and could cater to my needs)
2. JVC HAS160 (FLATS) (Infamous budget headphones, have a friend who has them and they sound pretty decent, also 1/3 the price of the PortaPros)
3.Sennheiser PX 100-II (good reviews as well but no idea if they are the ones I'm looking for for this genre)
4. Sennheiser HD229 ( again decent reviews but the same as the PX100's, no clue as to what I will actually get)
5. Koss KSC75 ( 1/3rd the price of the PortaPros again, excellent reviews )
6. JVC HARX700 

Which of these(or any others) would some of the lovely people on here recommend? Thanks a ton!

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 6
On ears for cheap is a tough category. Porta Pros are definitely good. You should also look at the JVC HAS500 if too much the HAS400 is cheaper. They're better than the portapros IMO. Especially for deeper bass

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 6
Hey there,

I'm gonna suggest you stay away from the Portapros and ksc-75 (Great sound, but horrible cable that is not fun to replace when it inevitably breaks).

Those JVC HAS500/400 are a very interesting suggestion, check those out, as well as the AKG K240 for an open over-ears and the Soundmagic E30 for a good IEM.

I do think you will find a proper over-ears headphone more comfortable than on ears, that how most people feel. Just go with whatever you think will work out best and I would advise against getting too hung up on the genre/bass thing, most cans that don't have the word "audiophile" plastered on them should have plenty of bass for you, especially when it comes to closed cans and IEMs.. 

Good luck :)

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Alright cheers guys will look into those.

Also, on a side note, are sound cards worth it for listening to music on my PC? Or would a pair of new cans and an amp suffice (although I'd mostly be listening using my Sansa+).

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Wait and see how the new cans sound plugged in to your PC, and compare the PC to your sansa+, that is a pretty darn good source.

A sound card or DAC (digital-to-analog converter, this term is usually used for external "sound cards") is only necessary if you notice problems with your onboard audio or.. If you are OCD like a lot of us on here and just want a guarantee that your source is pure.

As far as an amp goes.. A lot of times guys only have an amp because they read that they need one somewhere or they bought a DAC and need to put something in between that and their cans or, rarely, because they actually need one.. 

Generally, if the music gets loud enough to listen to with a comfortable amount of overhead you do not need any additional amplification.

Most headphones are very efficient, I really do not think you will need an amp for any of the cans mentioned in this thread. Again, I suggest getting the cans first.. Plugging them into the sansa and then deciding if you need an amp (most likely not).

Feel free to hit me up if you need any more info on amps/dacs. I know it's like some whole other language at first.. just stick around and the stuff will start making sense :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back