Best cans for trip-hop/instrumental/hip-hop
Aug 22, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #16 of 21
you're looking at around $200-$350 for a good starter tube amp. I advised my girlfriend to pre-order the Schiit Valhalla when she was looking for a cheap tube amp. The Woo Audio 3 and Little Dot Mark IV are near that price range as well. 
the one I'm selling is pretty great ($375), not saying you should buy it from me but it's definitely an amp worth looking into (Darkvoice 3322). 

i do listen to trip hop with the 3322 and dt990/600 and its really very enjoyable. i also listen to dubstep (skream, milanese, aerial) and alternative hip hop (atmosphere, jedi mind tricks, mos def)
i'm not selling the 3322 because of its shortcomings, but because I have G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). the amp I'm planning on getting to replace it is more than 3x the price. 
confused.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 21
Finally someone who listen to the exact same stuff as me.

I would prefer to keep amp costs down to around 200 dollars, though. Would that Audinst I posted earlier work, or would I definitely need a tube amp? I like the Audinst cause it's in my price range and serves as a DAC and Amp, but if I need a dedicated amp I would be willing to get that first and a DAC later.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 21
The Beyer DT990/600 ohms have outstanding bass but being that they're 600ohm you'll want to find a tube amp that can power them properly. The cheaper solid states probably wouldn't do as well. I went through exactly what you're going through with my girlfriend and she finally resigned to the Schiit Valhalla and will get a DAC later (probably the udac or dac1). Tube in general delivers a more natural, warm sound which I personally prefer. I know that there are loads of people around here that know much more than I do, just trying to relay some of my findings. :wink:

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 21
Can you recommend me a tube amp I can get for like 200 bucks or so? I'll probably end up buying it used if possible to save a little money. It doesn't really have to be a tube amp, either. Any good entry level amps will do for now.

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 21
The 990'600 is indeed also quite an idea. I personally didn't like the 250 ohm version too much (the DT770 is more coherent in comparison), but the 990'600 version is said to be waaay better.

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #21 of 21
That's what I'm going to try to do. If I can't get my hands on a used 990/600 I might just go with the 770. Now I just gotta find an amp. This is my first set of headphones that will really need one, so I know absolutely nothing about them.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back