Best cans for Rio karma?
Aug 26, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #16 of 42
I absolutely adore KSC-75s out of my Karma. I don't want to find anything better, cos I'm just having so much fun like this
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush
I use Westone UM2 with my Karma. It sounds very good with the EQ and awesome with an Amp. You will be happy with it. But make sure your MP3s are of good quality or else these headphones will bring out the worst. Also use the Bi-flange ( Modified Ety triple flange) for best results

I am sure they sound fantastic, but I am looking for budget-minded easily portable un-amped solutions.

I am looking for the relationship my Senn. HD497's had with the JB3.

When I get a few hundred bucks for a home set-up, then I will be looking higher end solutions.

I will keep those in mind for later.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
I absolutely adore KSC-75s out of my Karma. I don't want to find anything better, cos I'm just having so much fun like this
biggrin.gif

I think they are a decent headphone, particularly for the cost, but I can really notice thier limitations.
frown.gif

I am listening to them right now through the Karma and enjoying them, but I know there has got to be a better budget portable pair of cans out there that could better approximate the listening experience I am looking for. I am not seeking audiophile bliss, just a satisfying portable comparable to my previous rig.

I think the KSC75's are worth having around and would definitely reccommend them to someone if it was the type of headphone they are looking for. Props for Koss on these.

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #21 of 42
Hi,

This may not help a lot since the cost is probably beyond your budget. I use UE10-Pro's with my Karma, encoded at level 10 in Ogg. Fantastic sound, IMO.

Maybe you should wait a little then investigate UE-5's.

You will certainly get rid of upgraditus going in this direction.

Incidentaly due to the extremely high efficiency of UE's there is absolutely no need for an amp with virualy any DAP.

Love my Karma, been going for 12 months or more now and no glitches or problems.

Had ER4's both P and with S cable - no comparison with UE's. I am getting Superfi Pros for my son for Xmas - he would have had them by now, but a PSP took priority - incidentaly that piece of kit is brilliant, what I like particularly is surfing the web using our WiFi. So I would check out the Superfi's.

One reason I particuarly favour UE is their excellent service, which is particularly important if you don't live in the US.

Regards

John

Aug 27, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 42
I read today (on appleinsider.com, I believe) that Rio is getting out of the MP3 business altogether. Might be a good time to pick a few up as they unload their inventory. Or, on the other hand, might be a good time to move on to Apple!

Aug 28, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #24 of 42
I am really looking for a bugdet solution, where the the sound will be balanced, open, clear and acurate.

I narrowed the choices to these:

Shure E2C
Sennheiser PX100
AKG K26P
Koss Porta Pro

I do not plan on amping it when protable and I what a headphone that will provide the best transparency unamped through the Karma.

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #25 of 42
Ive tried most of the MP3 players avlable for 2005 and every rio i tried had the same EQ. The EQ on the rio is the best one ive tried, all the others and i mean ALL of em would distort or clip if you tried to boost anything. The rio is the only company that had a good EQ and can get a decent volume. Even with those featires it still lacks bass but not near as bad as the others i tried.

Get somthing that has good bass, like the portapros or the KSC75s, somthing that is fairly easy to drive the bass. I use mine with E3s but just for relaxing sounds wheni sleep. For music i have to use the eggos or its so thing its not fun to listen to.

Aug 28, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andresin
I don't think any of your suggestions would be much of an upgrade over the KSC75 jmb.

At least one or two has to be a bit better than the 75's? I find the Koss clip's to be a very good headphone for the price, just looking to step up a bit in straight from the headphone jack quality.

Part of the problem, is the Karma itself. I think the JB3's headphone jack was a bit cleaner and accurate. I know some might disagree.

Maybe when I get my HD201's the problem will be solved, sound wise anyway (although mixd reviews of them so far), they are not very portable though.

Such a dilemma. Maybe I will just have to buy them all and find out
icon10.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #28 of 42
> Shure E2C
For critical listener the missing highs may bother. Didn't bother me before I bought my HD-650.. Then I found the missing highs to be handicap

> Sennheiser PX100
I have PCX 250. Bit like shure e2c but _with_ the highs. Unfortunately, pxc250 clamp too much. After 4 hours it starts to bother.

> Koss Porta Pro
Had for a day. Too much bass and didn't like them in general.

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #29 of 42
Since the wife has the Karma for her business trip I have been listening to the KSC75's through my XIN Supermini plugged into my PCDP's line out (Sony D-FJ401) and they have been impressive.

They sound detailed, balanced, and the soundstage has openned up significantly.

I have a feeling the Karma's headphone jack isn't all it's cracked up to be, since I didn't get the same quality with the Karma>Xin>KSC75 set-up. (EQ flat, volume 29)

When my HD201s arrive, hopefully they will match well with the Karma. If not will probably try the PX100's.

Personally though, if someone is considering pairing the KSC75's with a Kama, I would advise against it. The Supermini cleaned the 75's up a bit, but they were far to bright when amped. Unamped they sounded "veiled" and EQ tweaks helped a bit, but never provided a suitable sound to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back