Best cans for me?
Jul 3, 2005 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rG-tom

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Its my first post here and it seems like a great forum so far! Here's the story:

I've had a pair of sennheiser hd210's for a couple of years now, and whilst they have given me good service, the lead has become knackered and rather than replace it again, I thought it's time to upgrade, especially after hearing a friends seperates systems and deciding to endulge into seperates myself. I've listened to my friends Grado SR-80's and I can honestly say I preferred the sound of my 210's, although this is probably because I do seem to prefer closed cans (I returned a pair of HD495's for the 210's).

They would be my general headphones, although i do tend to listen to music 90% of the time, and 80% of the time that music is rock / heavy metal. The other 20% will be gaming (first person shooters so soundstage is important i suppose) and movies.

I use optical out on my PC to my Pioneer VSX-C300 (linky: Pioneer VSX-c300) and have wharfedale programme 30D.6 100w bookshelfs that I listen to during the day (i know i know, not very good but im just starting out
smily_headphones1.gif
), with no other headphone amps. With my current can's my usual listening level is around -20 to -18, and these are 32 ohm's if i remember correctly.

I like a nice crisp and clear high and mid without it being harsh (you know when the high's are so crisp they hurt) , and an exciting for want of a better word rather than clinical sound, but most of all I love a good tigh (but also very present) bass response. Best example I can give is my friend's fathers transmission line speakers. the bass response on them, if they could be matched in headphones, would be a dream (although the top end left something to be desired, with my friends Gale golds easily pipping them.

Due to my apparant dislike of open can's, I have been led to the Beyer DT770's by a friend who also sent me here to do more research. Other than that, I am also considering perhaps getting a pair of the alessandro grado mods, the $99 studio one pair, and perhaps trying to train my ears to like them, but I still think i'd prefer closed. He also said that from reports he's read, the HD-280 Pro's are not something to consider vs these.

Something that worried me is the high impedance of these DT770's. Would I benefit greatly from a dedicated headphone amp? Also, how much would one of these worth considering set me back?

I would like to set a limit of £80 for the headphones, the price of the DT770, but if the right cans come about I could maybe stretch to a bit more, but only if they are really worth it.

Thanks for your time,

Tom.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I thought I'd bump this before your first post gets bumped off the first page. In case you don't know, the DT 770 come in 80 and 250 ohm versions, so I think the 80 ohm version would be best.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 3
I wouldn't write off open cans so soon. Definitely take a listen to, say, HD555s, HD485s, eH350s (the latter two may not be available yet) and Philips' SBC-HP890 and HP1000. Maybe HD212Pro and HD497, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back