Best cans for Lavry DA10?.
Nov 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just bought a DA10 to update my waveterminal U24. I use it mainly with speakers and with my ER4s. I'm thinking of buying a new set of open cans to complement the in-ear ER4s.

I listen mainly pop and jazz. What do you think would be the best cans for the DA10?.

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 17
Best cans that are sold actively today are the Ultrasone Edition 9 from my perspective. Others, I am sure will disagree. You really need to listen to them a while to get the sound of them.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also good would be the HD580, HD6xx series from Senn.

Yea, those too are very mainstream around here and especially when balanced sound very good.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 17
If I had Lavry..I would definitely go with AT or Grado cans. Matter of fact, I almost got the Lavry when I had the AT W5000 and few other AT and Grado cans in the past. All thanks to slwiser above who corrupted me with his Lavry and W5000
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 17
I also think you should check out the new ATH-ESW9 for the music that you enjoy. I have these phones and they are very much like the W5000 in Timbre but come up a bit short in the width of the sound image compared to the W5k. These are at another price point. I don't suggest the ESW9 with metal musics. For metal the only dynamic phone I can recommend single-ended is the UE9.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi

New to the forum.

Excellent question - I pair the JVC DX1000 with my DA10. I bought both within the past couple of months with the intention of purchasing a separate SS amp - something like a nice HR DT Max or Meier Prehead. But, the DA10 and the JVC's seem to be so satisfying that I can't justify spending the additional money.

Retrogrouch

Dec 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Anyone has compared the HD650 with the ATH-W500 in the Lavry?.

BTW question to Lavry owners. Fist time I listened to Lavry DA10 I didn't notice much difference (Lavry is about 10X more expensive than Waveterminal u24). I just commenced to appreciate the differences after careful listenning. Is that what happened to you, or you experienced a wow the very first time?.

Best.

Dec 5, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 17
HD650 has great synergy with DA10. Very recommended pair.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 17
My experience with the Lavry is somewhat different then the others. I found it to be a very good balanced DAC, but the amp was rather second rate and as, I remember, I used the amp for one day. Balanced is the key here. Along with a good balance amp (I had the Headamp GS-X at the time), the Hd650 ZU XLR was magical.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the Lavry is somewhat different then the others. I found it to be a very good balanced DAC, but the amp was rather second rate and as, I remember, I used the amp for one day. Balanced is the key here. Along with a good balance amp (I had the Headamp GS-X at the time), the Hd650 ZU XLR was magical.

We did an extensive test of Lavry balanced out vs. Lavry headphone amp at my friends place.

We had two pairs of HD650. Other pair had the stock cable and other pair the balanced stock cable.

Differences between the balanced outs and headphone amp were EXTREMELY subtle. I think I heard slightly more bass out of the balanced out but I'm not sure. The balanced pair had slightly softer earpads so that might explain the bass. I was quite disappointed about the results.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 17
I plug my K1000s strait into the balanced out of my DA10. There's a huge improvement over the quarter inch unbalanced jack. I don't know how useful this info is though, since the K1000s don't behave like other headphones.

I haven't used enough gear to make definative impressions, but I suspect that the DA10 is pretty abundant with high frequencies relative to competing DAC/preamps. If that's so, I'd expect it to synergize well with a laid back headphone like HD6XX. Perhaps someone more experienced can confirm or deny this.

Having said that, I don't personally enjoy listening to my HD600s with the DA10. After listening with the K1000s and SA5000s, The HD600s are like trying to look through a glazed window. But much to their credit, they don't have any fatigue.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Another Senn HD5/6X0 recommendation. I used a DA10/HD650 balanced setup for a year. Nice little compact system with a laptop.

As for HD650 v. SA5K with the Lavry - if the Senn is like a 'glazed window' the Sonys are like 'eating the windows glass.' Resolving... if all jagged and painful (at least with DA10).
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back