Best Cans for Industrial Rock (Nine Inch Nails) and Tool.
Jan 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gjohnst4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Community!
Been reading as much as possible over the last month and my knowledge has grown significantly, so thank you all!

I have been using my UE Super.fi 5 Pro's with Ipod for portable use and Love them. They Handle everything I throw at them beautifully. At home it is a different story. I do listen to everything, but Industrial rock and heavier bands get by far the most time.
My source is usually streaming off grooveshark with upgraded membership, through my Creative Platinum's front I/O panel. I was using my Turtle Beach HPA's for music with stereo surround enabled. These phones have an incorporated amp, and I thought sounded good. I recently purchased AD700's and realized the clarity I was missing. Unfortunately, the AD700's shine with everything but Industrial and Heavy rock.

So, I would appreciate recommendations for the best pair of phones to fill the bass gap, while not sacrificing all of the wonderful sound stage the AD700's employ. I do love how they sound for softer music!

I have been thinking M50's and DT880's or AKG701's. Possibly Grado's? But I wouldn't know where to start with their line.
I have around 225$ to spend, and would consider trading/selling the AD700's. I have also been eye balling the cheaper tube amps on ebay, like the Bravo Audio.

Thank you in advance for replies!

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 21
From the cans I have, I like Tool the most on my Grado's, easy choice

Actually, the AKG 450's portable come 2nd, they have some very strange positive thing going on for me with Tool when I'm on the go with them

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 21
Those are some good choices. Grados aren't exactly known for their bass punch, especially if you're thinking of the sr60s (just assuming you are, since they're in the M50's price range). Also consider Shure SRH750 if you can get them for around 120$ - 130$

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 21
How much do SR225's usually go for?

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 21
SR225's are not bass monsters, but they aren't exactly without bass also.
From my experience definitely enough for things like Tool.

For rock-orientated music I can't name a better can under 225 usd

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 21
Hey it's 2 vs 1, so I'm beaten =P if you can aford the Grados, go for it. They are superb cans. But since you're looking for portable, keep in mind they are open headphones, and so they leak a lot and isolate poorly. Grado is more of a home brand

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Hey it's 2 vs 1, so I'm beaten =P if you can aford the Grados, go for it. They are superb cans. But since you're looking for portable, keep in mind they are open headphones, and so they leak a lot and isolate poorly. Grado is more of a home brand

agreed, I wouldn't use my Grado's on the go

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 21
Sorry for not being clear enough, but this purchase is for home use, with possible amp added later. I very much like my UE Super.fi 5 Pro's for on the go.
I will certainly look at the Grados! Do the AKG701's have enough bass for Nine inch nails type music? Just wondering because there is a deal for under 200 Im keeping an eye on.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

agreed, I wouldn't use my Grado's on the go

(don't get mad on me Bill(avideo), lol, I'm in busses all the time)

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 21
The SRH840 is the same price as the 750DJ, are they a better choice?

I am now a little overwhelmed! I like the idea of Grado 225 because of the amount of Tool I listen to, But I like the idea of the 750DJ for the bass that Nine inch nails demands.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back