Best cans for gaming
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. looking for another cans (besides my K701 whice isn't good for gaming at all) for gaming\movies only. 
Looking for- tight and rich (yet controlled) bass, wide soundstage and great details (then AD700 are no option). most important- natural. very natural (wanna get the most realistic sound when gaming). closed or open, doesn't matter. those will run through SB ZXR (maybe latter with swapped OP-AMPS). they will be played in 5.1 Dolby Headphones mode.
My thoughts until now were about the DT 990 250Ohm and the Ultrasone Proline 900. the budget is up to 400$. 

Another thoughts? intersting cans you found good for gaming?
Thank you headfies. :)

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Wait, the K701 isn't good for gaming?
blink.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Yep, no bass, you know. they are very natural, but explosions has to give very high impact, which the K701 can't do. those are cans for music, no more.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 19
I can definitely say the Ultrasone HFI-780 is a very balanced and to me natural sounding headphone. It has detailed treble with a bit of sparkle and a eerie large soundstage for a closed headphone though not on the same level of the Audio Technica ATH AD700. The bass is strong yet blends in with the treble perfectly never getting in the way of the crispness. I have been using the HFI-780 for about a week since purchasing and in that short time it has become my go to headphone for movies with crystal clear dialogue and heart leaping explosions. Music especially ambient, electronic, industrial, heavy metal and classical are all fun and fast. Games I can hear every little detail in the environment with depth and down to the last sonic tone with a sense of balanced distance where the soundstage doesn't feel overdone in rpgs such as SKYRIM or like a cheat in shoot em ups.

For spacey way out electronic sounds like Delia Derbyshire music or the sci-fi movie classic Forbidden Planet these headphones are killer. This is also the reason some may consider them a tad on the metallic unnatural side. Definitely not warm but the balanced combo of crystal clear treble and stomping bass make for a very fun alive audio experience which feels as if nothing is missing from the band. A completeness of sound I don't find in many other headphones which may shine on some things but not on others.

Excellent headphones am really happy I purchased.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks hellbishop. what's your source\amp for those cans by the way?

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Thanks hellbishop. what's your source\amp for those cans by the way?

Your welcome :D

Source Intel quad pc connected from the motherboard Realtek audio to my Onkyo TX-8555. I use winamp to play cds from the cd drive and cd mp3 rips from the harddrive. I use the pc for gaming music and movies. Pretty much in that order.

I also have Cerwin Vega XD3 and Samson MediaOne 3a studio monitor speakers that give great sound through their headphone outs.

Am not using a headphone amp but am thinking of getting a Schiit Audio Asgard in the near future since I heard it has good synergy with the Ultrasone HFI-780.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Yep, no bass, you know. they are very natural, but explosions has to give very high impact, which the K701 can't do. those are cans for music, no more.

I know you'll like beyers. Dt770/880 for example. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 19
What about DT990 250?

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 19
The 880s are the only Beyer I have heard personally. I can't really recommend in this case, if you do want that natural sound the 880s do have it, but I would ask around for a closed headphone known for having a natural sound. Those 780s that hellbishop sound pretty awesome even for my music preferences... I want to hear them someday

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
What about DT990 250?

Hi.
I got DT 990 pro 250 ohm and DT 880 pro 250 ohm, I could recommend 990's (Wide soundstage, lively, impactful bass but still controlled and detailed) and 880's more neutral.
Beyer's is always a good choice.
beyersmile.png

Cheers

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Title says it all. looking for another cans (besides my K701 whice isn't good for gaming at all) for gaming\movies only. 
Looking for- tight and rich (yet controlled) bass, wide soundstage and great details (then AD700 are no option). most important- natural. very natural (wanna get the most realistic sound when gaming). closed or open, doesn't matter. those will run through SB ZXR (maybe latter with swapped OP-AMPS). they will be played in 5.1 Dolby Headphones mode.
My thoughts until now were about the DT 990 250Ohm and the Ultrasone Proline 900. the budget is up to 400$. 

Another thoughts? intersting cans you found good for gaming?
Thank you headfies. :)

Umm, the K701 isn't good for gaming? That's absolutely not even close to being true. They're "end game" territory for gaming. The DT 990 isn't bad either, but the K701 is still better by far, IMO.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 19
Razer Kraken Pro, a lot of pro gamers seem to love them. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 19
^ Look what I wrote two posts later. the K701 are amazing, but the bass lacking makes them awful for gaming.

Anyway thank you all, I guess that DT990 it is!

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #15 of 19
swiftW1nd thanks, I think I will pass from headsets as I already have one which consider to be very audiophile (Siberia V2). but I'm looking for the best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back