Best Cans for Electronic Music
Apr 5, 2002 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Geist

Head-Fier
Hi! I've been lurking for about a month and thought I'd ask for some advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm planning on buying headphones, and was going to get the Sennheiser HD 600's, but I've read that they may not be the best headphones for electronic music. Now mind you, I do listen to other kinds of music, but ambient/trance/EBM types of music dominate my CD collection.

Now, I'm playing on a Sony D-EJ01, and realize that despite it's $600 CAN dollar price tag it's not the best portable out there, but it will have to do for now, since I JUST bought it.

I am going to need an amp as well, so any suggestions in this area would be appreciated also.

Thanks!!

Apr 5, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 7
...you must be fuggin' kidding. Trust me on this one: you want Grado. Get the best you can afford. If you were going for the famous "Jan Meier $220," do some Grado SR-225's. "Best Rock 'n Roll headphone" according to HeadRoom and I'd have to agree. Plus, you'll save twenty bucks, dawg.

Say what you want, but I firmly believe that if you hear the Grados in your price range right next to the Senns, you'll easily pick the Grados, based upon your listening preferences.

On last thing: if you really want to go into a "trance" and don't mind the lack of "bass wind on your ears," go Ety 4P. In time (probably about two days of occasional listening), you'll fall in love with the sound and never look back.

- Matt

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of good things about Grado.

IF I was willing to spend the cash, which I may be, would it be worth it to go for Grado RS-2's? Remember, my source is a D-EJ01, so I wouldn't want to buy something that my player can't take full advantage of. I will be buying a headphone amp, however, and the D-EJ01 has a pretty nice line out.

What do you guys think?

Apr 5, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 7
With your price range? I would definitely look into the Beyer DT770's and a Porta Corda or TA. It would be a bit more than the Senn's, but this an extremely nice combo for electronic music.

If not the DT770's, go for some V6's. They're easier to drive if you don't want an amp.

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Another great headphone for this is the Beyer DT250-80. Around $160, don't need an amp, and have great sound and great bass.

Apr 6, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by punosion
With your price range? I would definitely look into the Beyer DT770's and a Porta Corda or TA. It would be a bit more than the Senn's, but this an extremely nice combo for electronic music.

If not the DT770's, go for some V6's. They're easier to drive if you don't want an amp.

That sounds about right.

I would probably order the DT770's or the DT990's if i was you. Personally i really love the sound of the 990's, but i have no idea what the 770's sound like.

I would suggest getting maybe a Headroom little or a Corda Headamp as the amp. Also, you might want to get some good quality, decently priced interconnects as well. Don't spend too much on them though. In my opinion they aren't worth spending an extreme amount of money towards.

Apr 6, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Not that I have the money to blow on quality interconnects, but if I did I'd definitely spend some very good money on them. Remember your system only sounds as good as the weakest link. So if you have a great amp and great headphones, why would you connect them with interconnects that will introduce additional interfence and coloration?

The other day I was testing out some Grados headphones with the Grado RA-1 amp, and I could actually HEAR the different characteristics of the various interconnects that were available. It DOES make a difference, at least to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back