Best cans for classical ~$100
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersleuth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he's talking about one of the old electret models which often turn up on EBay for $75 or so- at least I hope not. But I don't know what electrostatic Stax would be close to $100. (I'd like to know!) I've owned an SR 44 for many years (still works fine but rarely listen to it anymore, because when I listen with cans I use the CD player next to my bed rather than my stereo system.) Truly lovely midrange- but precious little on either side.

Closest really would be a SR001, but even that, used, is closer to $200 than $100.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closest really would be a SR001, but even that, used, is closer to $200 than $100.

I got SR5 for less than a HD595 costs (well closer to $200, too) and if I knew the improvement beforehand I would have never bought those Sennheisers. HD555 are a bit weaker...
I think the gain in detail or overall SQ is worth the additional cost.

EDIT: Reading the K701 recommendation you should consider that they would need an amp (talking about straight out of an ipod, right?)... pricey.

Jonas

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 18
how are other vintage / older model headphones i.e akg k240 sextett or beyer dt 150 in terms of clarity in mid & high range? and how do they compare to the more modern headphones i.e the ones mentioned here?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back