Best canals/IEMs for isolation & comfort?
Mar 19, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
...The Super.fi 5 are comfortable but don't isolate as well as say...and Ety just because it never enters your ear canal.

blink.gif
They shure as heck entered my ear canal! The went nearly as deep as the shures do with each comparable corresponding tip. That's probably due to the fact that I have (apparantly) oddly shaped ear holes. However, I agree they do not isolate as well as the Shures, Etys, Westones, ect. (even in my funky ear canals).

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 29
E4c with foamies! The foamies are very comfortable after you adjust to them, and since the footprint is small, I forget I have them on.

The UM2 are also really comfy. not the best for sleeping though, b/c they come out a tiny bit, and that causes some problems when lying with your ear down on the pillow.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
blink.gif
They shure as heck entered my ear canal! The went nearly as deep as the shures do with each comparable corresponding tip. That's probably due to the fact that I have (apparantly) oddly shaped ear holes. However, I agree they do not isolate as well as the Shures, Etys, Westones, ect. (even in my funky ear canals).

'and' = 'an'
biggrin.gif
my bad. make more sense now?

The Super.fi 5 are comfortable but don't isolate as well as say...an Ety, just because it never enters your ear canal.

I suppose it does enter my outer ear canal, but NOTHING like etymotics!

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 29
There are quite a few good IEM including ER4 and UM2.. while good comfort and isolation depend very much on the tips use... Majority would find foam and flanged tips offer the best. Try both type to see which suit u best
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 29
UM2 with Bi-flanges provide a good mix of isolation and comfort. If you wnat more isoltaion go for the foamies

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 29
ER4P/S is not as comfortable as ER6i. This may be due to the longer transducer stalk of the ER4P/S.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 29
I don't think the HJE50 accepts the tips of Etys, Shures etc.

Personally, I found the most comfortable to be the Westone UM1 with Shure soft flex tips. I found the Etymotic ER-4P with tri-flange and foamies, and the UM1 with foamies, comply tips, and modded triflange to all be significantly less comfortable.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
-foamies are the most comfortable but are not the best isolators, maybe except for the very expensive comply tips

Not true. The large yellow foamies on ER4 get you a 40 dB drop. The UM2 definately does NOT isolate as well. I also find the ER4 a very comfortable IEM because there's no 'cable behind ear' design, and it's easy to attach your shirtclip.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleleafs
Would I get sufficient isolation & comfort if I just bought a cheap canal phone (eg. panasonic hje50) and put IEM tips on it (from shure, etymotic etc.) ?

I believe the ER-6, not ER-6i, tips will work with the hje50. I'm not sure how well it works.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 29
No they're not. The ER-6 have a larger opening. The panasonics are alright, not too bad for its price. IMO, the etys are miles better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back