Best Canalphones below $100
Oct 14, 2004 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

knuxed

100+ Head-Fier
Based on the topic above,what do you think would be the best canalphones under $100.My friends prefrences are damn good highs and mids so currently my friend is eyeing the Westone UM1 or the Shure E2c or even the Etys ER6.One more thing,please do not tell my friend to buy the Sony EX71 cos he has heard them and they are too bassy for his liking.Please give me your suggestions and this will be the first time he will be buying canalphones so please guide me and him,o' master.
etysmile.gif
.Thank you in advance.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by knuxed
Based on the topic above,what do you think would be the best canalphones under $100.My prefrences are damn good highs and mids so currently I am eyeing the Westone UM1 or the Shure E2c or even the Etys ER6.One more thing,please do not tell me to buy the Sony EX71 cos i heard them and they are too bassy for my liking.Please give me your suggestions and this will be the first time I will be buying canalphones so please guide me,o' master.
etysmile.gif
.Thank you in advance.

E2c does not have "damn good highs" although the mids are nice. I've never heard the EX71 but the E2c could be considered bassy. You might want to cross that off your list.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Actually, NONE of the sub-$100 canalphones on the market have all that great of highs. The only ones that produce much highs are the Sony MDR-EX## series, IMHO - but the quality of their highs is harsh and screechy rather than clear and detailed. You'll need to stretch your budget to well over $100 in order to even get decent highs out of canalphones. (The Etymotic ER-6 is priced considerably over $100 in most places.)

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 9
I love canalphones for commuting, more isolation = less useless an tiring distraction, and you don't have to pump up the volume to shout down the background noise, better for the ears.

This is what I just wrote here:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...81#post1018981
The bottomline is something like: if you use a higherres-player, the e2's are ok, use another player and the sony's might do okay, keeping in mind the $100 limit.

Quote:
I listened to the EX70&71 for 2 years avg 3 hrs a day and loved them, especially the more fun 70, on a humble 501 MD-player. Rolled of high, flattened dynamics at LP (Atrac3 132 kbs) yet strangely listenable, like my Tivoli model one kitchentable radio.
However, moving up to higher res players like f.i. my current NW-HD1 which is filled with 256kbs Atrac3+ the errors of the phones become annoying.
The 70 has a bass distortion that reaches up to far in the mid, like a clown with an oversized pants up to his neck, the 71 has a resonably balanced bass but an unpleasantly hard mid&treble.
Pity, because they a reasonably cheap, reliable and very very comfortable (on journeys I sometimes listened 14 hrs non-stop without fatigue, especially the 70 has a non-offensive yet strangely musical sound on the MD player).

Now I got the E2. I love the sound, for outdoors use on a portable with compressed music it's more then good enough, no complaints on any part of the SQ at all (except the soundstage, but I doubt you can get it big anyway with canalphones). But I find them rather uncomfortable compared with the 70/71; hard to get a good seal, the rubbing of the foams vs the hurt of the hard silicone, the far cable (no microphonics though) the idiocy of having to wrap the cord around your ears , where it doesn't stay put or interfers with my sun/readingglasses.(I don't do that anymore, instead I put the T-piece in my shirt, doesn't stay put either)
I wish someone could shoehorn the SQ of the E2 into the MDR-EX70. There is hope however; I did the "brohken"mod, consisting of thickening the e2-stems so that the EX-silicones fit and stay put, much more comfortable, doesn't hurt the SQ either (doesn't seem to improve it very much either, but I need more time to be definetive about that).

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
E2c does not have "damn good highs" although the mids are nice. I've never heard the EX71 but the E2c could be considered bassy. You might want to cross that off your list.

My mistake,sorry I got mistaken with the E3C,which has screechingly highs high.BUt what bout the Westone UM1,isnt that similiar to the Shure E1?

Oct 15, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

My mistake,sorry I got mistaken with the E3C,which has screechingly highs high.BUt what bout the Westone UM1,isnt that similiar to the Shure E1?

The E3's have horribly rolled off highs to my ears. If the EX71 are too bassy i'd suggest ER6-i, or MD33 if you want to save a bit of cash.

Oct 15, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I just found this link over at MacObServer http://www.macobserver.com/featurere.../05/07.1.shtml.Do you think what they are saying is true

No, they're lying. They also didn't mention the Ety 6i, which were designed for use with the iPod, which indicates it's a bit old... which doesn't really make a lot of difference except for the lack of 6i really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back