Best Can for Home Theater?
Mar 7, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 21
I also think HD555's don't have quite enough bass for movies. I would go with A500/A700/A900 over them.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #17 of 21
Do yourself a favor, stretch your budget and get the Ultrasone HFI-700 DVD phones, and don't look back. Just give them a long burn-in time, which is important with these cans..... very important.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a favor, stretch your budget and get the Ultrasone HFI-700 DVD phones, and don't look back. Just give them a long burn-in time, which is important with these cans..... very important.

Sounds like these are almost meant for movie watching, and an extra $50 or so isn't that much of a stretch... it's only money! Plus, bass is very important considering these are going to be primarily for movie watching. I'll research these more. Is DJDeals.com reputable? They have these for $198.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 21
I just ordered the ATH-A700's. Well within my price range, and I liked the positive comments on them. Plus they look pretty cool! I'll let you know how I feel about them when they arrive.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #20 of 21
Wow, I am bumping my own thread from 2008.  Pretty crazy, but still on point.  As a result of this thread and some additional research, I ended up getting the HD555 and they served me pretty well until yesterday when my 2 year old stepped on them and snapped off the ear piece.  Again, I am in the market for headphones that will be used primarily for home theater.   It appears that the HD555 are now priced much higher on Amazon ($200+) when I think I bought them in 2008 for $99 or so.  I need to buy my next cans from Amazon as I am using a Discover reward to purchase them.  So, I was thinking about the Audio Technica ATH-A700 or the AD700.  Again, it will be used about 95% for home theater (movies, TV and sports). 

Thanks!
transparent-pixel._V192551059_.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
Wow, I am bumping my own thread from 2008.  Pretty crazy, but still on point.  As a result of this thread and some additional research, I ended up getting the HD555 and they served me pretty well until yesterday when my 2 year old stepped on them and snapped off the ear piece.  Again, I am in the market for headphones that will be used primarily for home theater.   It appears that the HD555 are now priced much higher on Amazon ($200+) when I think I bought them in 2008 for $99 or so.  I need to buy my next cans from Amazon as I am using a Discover reward to purchase them.  So, I was thinking about the Audio Technica ATH-A700 or the AD700.  Again, it will be used about 95% for home theater (movies, TV and sports). 

Thanks!
transparent-pixel._V192551059_.gif

Beyerdynamic headphones are fantastic for movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back