Best Camera Lens Bag?
Nov 21, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #31 of 36
I have a LowePro SlingShot 200 AW that I absolutely love for everyday carry. I use it for daily carry and light travel. It's a sling bag, and the ability to access the camera in just a few seconds--without having to take the bag off--often proves priceless. My camera can currently be found in the SlingShot 200 AW more often than in any other case.

I also have a Kata 3N1-30 sling back / backpack hybrid which is also very nice. It's larger than the LowePro SlingShot 200 AW, allowing me to carry my mounted Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 with its lens hood attached in its forward position (I have to attach the hood in reverse position to fit it in the SlingShot 200 AW). This is a very nice bag that will do either right-side or left-side sling carry (the SlingShot 200 AW only goes one way, strap over the right shoulder, and swung around left) and it acts as a full backpack, too, when you untuck and anchor both straps. As nice as this bag is, however, it just doesn't (in my opinion) have the build quality that the LowePro products have--it doesn't feel as bombproof to me. I picked up a Kata for when I need a larger sling bag than the SlingShot 200 AW, but am now thinking of selling it, and picking up a LowePro SlingShot 350 AW to replace it instead. (Another key advantage to the LowePro "AW" products is that the all-weather cover is affixed to the bag, so is easier to both use and put away. The Kata has a detached all-weather cover.)

For when I want to carry everything, I have a LowePro CompuTrekker Plus AW backpack. This pack is huge--much larger than the photos of it alone would indicate. I use this bag for heavier travel, and also as an office-on-the-go. (Here's a photo of my CompuTrekker Plus AW pretty well packed up.) I can fit my entire mobile office in here, and pretty much all of the photography stuff I currently have. If huge is what you're looking for, this is really a wonderful piece.

Again, in my experience, it's hard to go wrong with LowePro gear. Everything I've owned by LowePro (from compact camera cases to the huge CompuTrekker Plus AW) has been impeccably constructed, and well thought-out for its intended purpose.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #32 of 36
I have a crumpler 6mdh. I love it and it goes everywhere with me. It has been on a few peak bags that included technical glacier travel, and it is usually my carry on on flights. My sister has one of the backpacks from crumpler. It is a little different design than most other camera backpacks. It cannot be opened while on your back. Everything from crumpler is very well built with just enough padding.

Most things from Crumpler don't look like a camera bag, which is a huge plus for me. They don't draw attention to the fact that you are carrying a few thousand dollars of electronics. They also come in colors other than black.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 36
I use the LowePro CompuTrekker Plus AW and it's great - carries all my gear and my laptop - perfect for using as a carryon! One nifty feature is the built-in rain cover - perfect for keeping all that $$$ gear dry!

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #34 of 36
I just got my hands on a LowePro mini trekker classic. Green. It's in very good shape and I paid just $50 for it. So far I like it a lot.

Functionally, it's not much harder to get a lens out than the slingshot I tried. I can just rotate it a bit with one shoulder strap to access my telephoto. The bonus is even weight distribution across my back which is more than can be said for the slingshot. Additionally, the extra room this one has over the smaller slingshot will be much appreciated on my vacations.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I couldn't pass up this deal.

Nate

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that looks phenomenal but is it large? i ride rather low though i will be getting more of a touring bicycle soon so i won't be as flat out. if too long it will catch on my helmet (which i always wear)

phenomenally good looking and versatile pack: as far as i can tell. not cheap either... is it waterproof? i cannot figure it all out from the website. it looks to be convertable?

for biking, id consider converting a nice messenger bag into a camera bag with inserts. or if you'd like, crumpler makes a decent sent of camera inserts that fit perfectly in their bags. if you're interested, you can go google: crumpler seedy three.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #36 of 36
I recommend Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack which I currently have. This bag fits two smaller SLR camera bodies, 3-4 lenses, and additional small accessories. It is also waterproof. What I like about the most is that it opens a clam shell fashion. This is a big step up from my previous bag, where you had to undo a flap cover, and then undo a zipper that basically cut the bag in half - not a very speedy or convenient process. The Canon bag is easy access; the camera sits right at the top, and you can remove it without having to totally open the bag up. Another thing I find nice is the amount of useable space. I was able to read good reviews at http://www.camerarunner.com/. I hope this suggestion helps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back