Best cables for the iPod?
Dec 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

IpodSF

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I'm looking for a short cable thats around 6 inches long with two right angle ends. This cable would be used for connecting the ipod to the amp. Which is the best cable regardless of the price to keep the best sound you guys would recommend?

Dec 13, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 14
IpodSF,

I have just received a BlackCoral two-right-angled mini-mini interconnect (0.25 metres, or about 11") from Larry at www.headphile.com and would suggest you look at his website and chat with him via email. I'm sure he would customize something for you. The BlackCoral is not cheap, but you said regardless of price.

I am using mine with a Sony D-EJ2000 pcdp, Xin SuperDual or Macro and AKG501 or DT880 headphones, and I think Larry's mini-mini has improved the sound quite a bit over my Pivot Zu.

Dec 13, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Dec 14, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 14
I am one of those who believes cables can make a difference in the right setup, but I'd consider saving the $90. I question whether the extra expense of a $100 cable is worth it out of an MP3 player. Just my $.02, but you asked.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 14
how about the Zu Pivot?
very_evil_smiley.gif

you can get one at their site http://www.zucable.com or get one off ebay for less from the company itself.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
Thanks guys! Alright so it's down to two cables. One which is almost $100 more than the other, haha.

What do you guys think? This cable will be for hooking up my SuperMacro amp to my ipod.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0050182000 (Teds Mini to Mini 1 foot Earcandy Cable - $109.00)

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0050310006 (Cardas 6 inch Mini to Mini cable - $19.95)

???

I can highly recommend the Earcandy Cable mentioned in the quote. It's expensive, but it's a great cable and how many of these do you buy? Cable Pro is also a head-fi sponser and that's who makes these cables. Go for it you won't be sorry!
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I can highly recommend the Earcandy Cable mentioned in the quote. It's expensive, but it's a great cable and how many of these do you buy? Cable Pro is also a head-fi sponser and that's who makes these cables. Go for it you won't be sorry!
icon10.gif

Do you use yours with the ipod?

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Yes...I compared it A/B with the cable that came with my Total Airhead and the improvement was remarkable. I now use it between my iPod and my SR-71. I love my portable rig; I never thought that I would enjoy portable audio so much. I subsequently bought several other EarCandy cables and adaptors to use for various purposes like to hook up to home systems at parties. I am impressed with these cables. EarCandy cables are extremely well built. I know that I'll never need anything better. I'm sure that there are probably some DIY'ers out there that could do just as well for less, but I don't have the time or the know-how. If you purchase one let me know what you think...
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Yes...I compared it A/B with the cable that came with my Total Airhead and the improvement was remarkable.

Do you think there would be a difference between the Ear Candy and the Cardas Mini-to-mini?

I have a similar setup with SR-71, iPod Mini, PocketDock or SIK DIN (both on order) and the Cardas Mini-Mini.

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Do you think there would be a difference between the Ear Candy and the Cardas Mini-to-mini?

I have a similar setup with SR-71, iPod Mini, PocketDock or SIK DIN (both on order) and the Cardas Mini-Mini.

I don't really know. I have never tried the Cardas. I have read responses to threads similar to this one in the recent past here at Head-Fi, and there's a good deal of informed opinion around here that cables make little if any difference. I am not an adherent to that school of thought. I know what I hear and my Earcandy cables have made a positive difference compared to the cables that I had previously tried. If I were you I would experiment as much as possible and make your choice based on your experience. I can honestly say that I'm not a bit sorry that I went with Earcandy cables. They were worth the money...good luck with your search...

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 14
I made an 8" cable w/ Homegrown Audio silver braid and two Switchcraft right angles. It's well made, and nice looking, but I can't really say it sounds better or worse than any other reasonably well made cables (to my ears anyway).

My favorite solution isn't really a cable at all - but an adapter to convert the Sik Din to a male right angle plug. This minimizes cable length, and is more compact. Made this one out of a Switchcraft right angle + another straight plug.

photo here

Wasn't really too hard to make.

Similar to Xin's right angle male/male adapter, but without the heatshrink.

Dec 14, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 14
There is a DIY guide on making cables here, i posted some that i have, and have gone on to make several more using quality parts.

i suggest either making your own, or seeing if anyone here is willing to make a cable to your exact size needs.

heres what im talking about. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&page=10&pp=25
just look a bit down the page once you see alot of pictures thats mine.

id be willing to make a cable for you using what ever parts you wanted, basically just on your dime, you buy the stuff ship it to me, and ill pay to ship it back once im done. prolly cost ya under 15 bucks with shipping dependong what items you buy. anywho dunno if ill find this thread again but pm if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back