Best Cable from iPod Dock-->Amp?
Nov 28, 2005 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

It looks like I might be getting the RS-1 and the RA-1 after all. this might sound like heresy to some here, but as I'll be moving into a small space, I want to have my iPod be my primary source. I'll be using line out on one of my docks (I have the older Photo dock, and the new Universal as well), and want to connect it to the RA-1. I'll also have my Perreaux SXH1 for when I want to listen to my HD650's. For now, I want to get a mini to RCA cable to do this. Now, I realize that cables go from the Radioshack cheapo's to over a thousand dollars. I'm looking to spend under $200 for this cable. Audio Advisor has a few, but as usual, I'd like to hear from you first. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 15
Look for a used pair of Crystal Cable Piccolo iPod on Audiogon. Should be able to buy at $200 used, but will go really fast.

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 15
I have the Analysis Plus iPod cable from Audio Advisor and have been very happy with it. It's very transparent.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 15
I've used three Y-cables: a Monster, a Zu Pivot and a custom cable from Grover. I notice differences between all 3. The Zu wins for looks and flexibility. The Grover wins for sound. I've tried to think of something nice to say about the Monster but there really isn't anything that comes to mind.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, I am bidding on a 1 meter Zu Pivot as we speak. I have a good deal of respect for that company, and although I didn't love the sound of the Mobius, I think that I'll love the Pivot. And hopefully it'll be cheaper than buying direct, as well.

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by star882
Just buy a cable from Radio Shack. The difference in sound quality is so little that it doesn't make sense except for those who want the last 0.001% of the quality. Save the money and buy a better amp and speakers with it.

interesting,

what cables did you compare them to and what rig were you using?

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 15
just use the zu, and tell us your experience.
cool.gif

generally skeptics come in, and say they make no difference and leave. It's their job I suppose.

so here's my take,

Cables make a difference. They make the most dramatic on headphone cables. There are also measurable differences in terms of awg, geometry, capacitance, resitance and inductance, dielectric composition, and strand uniformity and solid core, impendence and so on.

Have fun with the Zu. Don't let the skeptics kill your fun.

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 15
When you get your Zu, go by Ratshack and grab another el-cheapo cable out of the bargin bin. Spend a little time listening to both and you'll know for sure if it makes a difference to you or not.

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by star882
Just buy a cable from Radio Shack. The difference in sound quality is so little that it doesn't make sense except for those who want the last 0.001% of the quality. Save the money and buy a better amp and speakers with it.

Interesting comment. Have you compared a Radio Shack cable to a mini to mini made by RnB? or Highflyin9? or grandenigma1? or TURBO? etc. I compared a Zu Mobius to RnB's Senn cable and the difference was like night and day. One of the most dramatic differences between 2 cables I've ever experienced. The only other close one, so far, was a power cord swap on a RSA XR-2 phono stage.

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 15
I am going to get burnt but that is ok, it is after all just an opinion. I BELIEVE BAD CABLES will make good music sound worse. I AM NOT CONVINCED GOOD QUALITY CABLES will make good music sound better.

Having said that I can state that I have tried the Senn HD600 with the stock cable and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and could not justify the expense. As a matter of fact removing the foam and using gauze did more to improve the sound than the cable swap.

In this case since the source is an IPOD I wonder how much of an improvement (if any) an expensive cable would bring about. Specially if the individual does not use Apple Lossless or the Red Wine Audio mods.

If he is ripping at say 256 or less is a $200 mini to rca going to make that much difference? Perhaps he should re-ripp in lossless, get the Red Wine Audio mod and then perhaps a high quality mini to rca would make a difference.

Just my $0.02

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I am going to get burnt but that is ok, it is after all just an opinion. I BELIEVE BAD CABLES will make good music sound worse. I AM NOT CONVINCED GOOD QUALITY CABLES will make good music sound better.

Well said. I would say that cables make varying amounts of degredation to the music signal, with cheaper cables making major changes. The goal of a cable should be absolute neutrality, but all I've ever heard introduce some amount of sonic signature. Some add a midrange warmth, others roll-off the bass, others the highs. It's all a matter of synergy and what works best in your system and with your ears. It's called a system for a reason!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back