Best cable for mini to mini?
Nov 30, 2015 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GerGa

New Head-Fier
Hi,
      Background: I am getting Mogami 2893 quad cable to make a cable to connect to the back of my new car headunit(RCA) to a pocket in my dash(mini) where I can stash my Fiio X5II. 

I would also like to make a mini to mini cable in case I want to use 3.5mm aux port that comes on the front of the headunit.  What cable should I get?  I would use the Mogami but it a 4 conductor cable.  I do think a shielded cable is good because it's in the car, though.  I need a 3 conductor cable for mini to mini, correct?  Only reason I ask is because it's never a bad thing to reduce the size of a cable when it is used as a aux cord in the car. 

Also,
For the shield on the RCA cord connected to the back of the headunit, what do I connect that to?  Will I be fine to just connect it to a near-by ground in the car(aka a screw in the car body).  Seems like it would be a better ground than any other option; even case ground on the stereo.

And the shield on the mini to mini cable, do I bother connecting it to anything?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hi,
      Background: I am getting Mogami 2893 quad cable to make a cable to connect to the back of my new car headunit(RCA) to a pocket in my dash(mini) where I can stash my Fiio X5II.

I would also like to make a mini to mini cable in case I want to use 3.5mm aux port that comes on the front of the headunit.  What cable should I get?  I would use the Mogami but it a 4 conductor cable.  I do think a shielded cable is good because it's in the car, though.  I need a 3 conductor cable for mini to mini, correct?  Only reason I ask is because it's never a bad thing to reduce the size of a cable when it is used as a aux cord in the car.

Also,
For the shield on the RCA cord connected to the back of the headunit, what do I connect that to?  Will I be fine to just connect it to a near-by ground in the car(aka a screw in the car body).  Seems like it would be a better ground than any other option; even case ground on the stereo.

And the shield on the mini to mini cable, do I bother connecting it to anything?

Thanks

Cardas 2x21.5ga shielded cable is perfect for mini cables.  As a matter in fact, I'm building some this weekend for my portable stuff.  It has 2 conductors, red, black and insulation shield (galvanized steel wire armour) as ground. I wish I could find a 3 conductors plus the cable insulation shield.

The Cardas Four conductor (4x24ga) or MOGAMI 2534 Four conductor (24ga) are good too, just ignore  the fourth conductor.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm waiting for some cable that I ordered.  I'd try to post some pics when I build them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back