Best cable for HD650 (highs and overall detail)
Nov 29, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAI
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the Zu may be what I want, although the Equinox sounds good too per Patrickhat2001. PATB hit the nail on the head for what I'm looking for. I've had Grado 225's, and I'm trying to move the HD650s a bit towards the Grado sound (more highs and more detail crispness).

Thanks again,
RAI

The standard theory is that treble energy is in silver, thus the zu (siver plated coper), silver dragon, and headphile may be what you're lookin for, i dunno.

I kind of wish I'd gotten a chance to test out the Zu, especially after reading jazz's review(s), but I have a feeling that my perreaux sxh-1 is compensating for the deficencies of the SD, while not taking away from it's strong points. It's too bad that this amp isn't so easy to get hold of anymore. I think it's a steal at $300.

Anyway, as for lookin for the grado sound with a senn... out of all my components, the one that did the most towards moving my 650s to sound a bit more like my MS1s was the Silver dragon... however a much larger step was a bit of EQ tweaking (trust me, leaving -team flat eq- was hard, but the overall sound is so much more fun). Don't discount a little bit of eq tweaking... because if you're looking for the grado sound, you're not looking for a flat neutral sound ANYWAY, so what's the harm in moving a few sliders?

Nov 29, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAI
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the Zu may be what I want, although the Equinox sounds good too per Patrickhat2001. PATB hit the nail on the head for what I'm looking for. I've had Grado 225's, and I'm trying to move the HD650s a bit towards the Grado sound (more highs and more detail crispness).

Thanks again,
RAI

Just to be clear -- the Zu Mobius will NOT make the HD650 as bright as the Grado SR-225, which is a bit bright to me. This is the reason I was wondering about the Sony CD3000 (haven't heard one). I wanted something with the sound signature of the HD650 but have a touch more treble. However, I do not want something that is as bright as the SR-225.

The Zu moves the HD650 towards the Grado SR-225 but not all the way. The HD650/Zu sound is much closer to the Sensaphonics 2X-S than the Grado SR-225. The sensas are no slouch when it comes to providing great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back