"Best cable for HD-650?" asks the Noobie
Jun 3, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ralph

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just ordered some HD-650s and am now looking for a replacement cable. It must have been asked many times, but what what do y'all like? I've read some reviews and bits and pieces in posts, and would appreciate your thoughts. Upstream is a Lenco L78/OL1/Empire MC5/Jolida JD-9 for vinyl, or a Theta Data transport and modded Museatex Melior DAC for CD, through an Eastern Electric Mini Max preamp. For now, I'm seeing how far I can mod an X-Cans v.1 with NOS tubes, upgraded power supply and caps, but at some point I'd like to replace that amp. Thanks, Ralph

Jun 4, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 10
I've used both the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and the Zu Mobius for my HD650 headphones. I prefer the Zu for the HD650, by a slight margin.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 10
stock

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 10
Both the Silver Dragon and the Zu are excellent. The Silver Dragon has the deeper soundstage and a very nice midrange while the Zu has a bit more extension both top and bottom. I preferred the Silver Dragon with jazz and classical and the Zu with rock and roll. I usually use my 650's with music that sounds better with more soundstage and my Grados for rock so I went with the Silver Dragon.

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Moon Audio Blue Dragon V2 if you have the $$$. If not, stick with the stock and be happy. Both the Zu and Silver Dragon are too "bright" IMO. I've owned the BD V2 for a week now, and can say that it sounds a lot like the stock cable, but it enhances the soundstage and the bass. Of course this is in my system, and IMO. Still too early for a true review from me.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Don't forget the significantly cheaper but perhaps equally as proficient Headphile cables. Although I prefer the Zu and Silver Dragon, I know at least one Headfier who prefers the Headphile Sillver (V2) over these two. In my opinion, whereas both the Zu and Silver Dragon alter the HD 650's sound signature more strongly, the Headphile cable stays closer to the stock cable in tone but improves upon its technical capabilities such as soundstage, detailing, treble extension, bass control, etc. quite nicely. Nevertheless, I'd give cable upgrades the last priority as far as system upgrades are concerned.

Jun 4, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 10
stock is very good

Jun 4, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 10
likes others that have posted, stock cable on the HD650 are very good.

unless you have upgradeitis or you must satisfy that urge to spend the extra few hundred to get a replacement cable, then by all means do so. but IMO, cables should be the last thing to worry about after sources, amps, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back