Best cable for HD 600?
Oct 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to know which of these five cables offer the best separation between voices,"air" between instruments and a sparky but not harsh treble,openness and sense of space.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 20
I was not aware of its existence...but good to know!

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 20
No more suggestions? Any hd600 owners out there?

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 20
I've owned the HD600 with Cardas. While an improvement over stock, it certainly, for these ears at least, didn't make much of a difference.

I also listened with the Zu and I liked the effect. More high end sparkle and smoothness with an improvement in air and soundstage. Mind you these differences, though more than subtle IMO, certainly aren't large. As always YMMV depending on the sensitivity and training of your ears and the quality of your components.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 20
Get a HD650 cable, I am using one now as I type this with my HD600's and it sounds great
600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know which of these five cables offer the best separation between voices,"air" between instruments and a sparky but not harsh treble,openness and sense of space.

I'd agree... the Headphile Senn v2 Black Silver will add detail, separation, and air - while generally not being harsh - plus, it's a great value.

But... the Cardas will add some of all of that, plus warmth and weight - that permit the HD600/580s to enter the ranks of "World-class" phones. Perhaps the Equinox does also - never heard it.

However, by far, the greatest improvement will come from proper system matching with DAC/CDP, Amp, etc.

But... you may find... it's easier (quicker and less costly) to just get the SR-225s, RS-2s, RS-1s, AD2000s, or other phones (after their burnt in).

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... the Cardas will add some of all of that, plus warmth and weight - that permit the HD600/580s to enter the ranks of "World-class" phones.

X2 I have the Cardas/600 combo, and it has been about a year since I listened to the stock cable. I tried it the other night and I was amazed at how poor the stock cable sounded now that I am used to the Cardas. Assuming one's other components are up to the task, the Cardas/600 delivers some serious sound. I have not heard any of the other cables so I can't comment on them.

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 20
Any more experiences with the Headphile Silver? I'm reading innumerable posts about cables and the opinions are so diverse that I might go better for the cheapest option first and hope for the best...

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 20
What is the best balanced cable??

It would be great to know. Thanks in advance!

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 20
To my ears, the Sennheiser HD600 seems to have a great synergy with the Cardas cable. I tried the SAA Equinox with the 600's, and while it sounded great, it also had a bump in the upper mids that I did not really cotton to. The 600's sound more neutral with the Cardas, IMHO.
On the other hand, my 650's sound better balanced, clearer, and more open with the SAA Equinox, compared to the Cardas.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #14 of 20
I only hope that this is not going to end like when I read lots of reviews and impressions saying that the 595s were the bright Senns and that they are a great alternative to the Hd600,lol...of course I bought them!

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 20
I'm interested in more opinions on aftermarket Sennheiser cables for a Headphile woodied 580/600.

Zu Mobius
Blue Dragon
Silver Dragon
Cardas
Equinox
*APureSound
*Headphile

Of the above mentioned cable makers, which would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back