Best Cable Adapters (Do adapters affect the sound)
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Kitarist

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good adapter for my Grados SR 225.

Should i just buy the original Grado Adapter or just buy something cheap.

Do they really affect the sound

Thanks!!!

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 33
It's common opinion that adapters have an impact on sound. I guess cheaps adapters should have even more impact.
I would suggest to have a look at some Headroom or StefanAudio offers...I'm thinking of getting one XLR to SE adapter for myself from SAA, to not keep switching cables to my coming HD800, even if most of my listening with it will be with the B52.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 33
do you have any links?

Bump!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 33
Re-Terminate, Recable > Adapter

Here is a quote from Dan Lavry if you want a professional opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you can buy such adapters from a few manufacturers, but they are not all the same quality. Of course one issue is the mechanical construction, but less obvious is the electrical characteristics. One would think that all of those "simple devices" should be fine, but it is not so! When you order such an adapter, most often the seller does not tell you the manufacturer, and they may substitute a different brand at different times.

One of those adapter brands introduced clear distortions (measured on an Audio Precision test system). I opened it, and the connection was not even a soldered wire, it was based on some really poor "friction" and one of the conductors was the case itself... I was really surprised.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 33
Missed me? Check my sign.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 33
Well there is some minor audible distortion if u notice in really crappy cheap adaptors..but otherwise spending a fortune is not necessary.

how much is Grado adaptor?

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 33
My tip (will be doing it with my own SR225s very soon):

-Buy one male 1/8 jack and one female 1/8 jack.
-Cut the stock cable 4 inches or so from the 1/4 jack terminus
-Attach the male 1/8 jack to the cable running from the headphone (you have now re-terminated it
-Attach the female 1/8 jack to the other cable stub (You have now a 1/8 to 1/4 jack adapter)

The whole thing will cost you ~$5, depending on jack quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back