Best Buy says: "Your best options are JBL, Beats or Bose."
Mar 16, 2016 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stuck limo

Formerly with Light Harmonic/LH Labs
Went into Best Buy the other day and saw they had an "Audiofest" going on with reduced prices. I was looking at the JBLs they had on sale (admittedly nice sounding from what little I've heard) and the sales associate walks over and asks me what I'm looking for. I explain I was just trying to see what they had on sale. He then explains to me that the best headphones I should buy are JBL, Beats or Bose.  Doesn't mention the fact that the Magnolia room has headphones such as Bowers and Wilkins, V-Moda, Sennheiser, Blue Mic, etc. I just kinda smiled and nodded and thanked him for the advice. I'm not sure if he thought he was saving me money, or thought that I had no interest in spending more money for more expensive brands. I think he very briefly, extremely vaguely mentioned there were other options at a much higher cost but moved on and did not elaborate. From what I've heard from the Magnolia department employees anyway, the headphones in that department rarely get looked at by anyone. (probably explains why most of their kiosk/wall display doesn't work properly and is almost never updated with new styles) I guess the higher end headphone market around here is pretty non-existent (also evidenced by Craigslist, etc.)

Anyone else have any stories with shop employees?

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 4
  Went into Best Buy the other day and saw they had an "Audiofest" going on with reduced prices. I was looking at the JBLs they had on sale (admittedly nice sounding from what little I've heard) and the sales associate walks over and asks me what I'm looking for. I explain I was just trying to see what they had on sale. He then explains to me that the best headphones I should buy are JBL, Beats or Bose.  Doesn't mention the fact that the Magnolia room has headphones such as Bowers and Wilkins, V-Moda, Sennheiser, Blue Mic, etc. I just kinda smiled and nodded and thanked him for the advice. I'm not sure if he thought he was saving me money, or thought that I had no interest in spending more money for more expensive brands. I think he very briefly, extremely vaguely mentioned there were other options at a much higher cost but moved on and did not elaborate. From what I've heard from the Magnolia department employees anyway, the headphones in that department rarely get looked at by anyone. (probably explains why most of their kiosk/wall display doesn't work properly and is almost never updated with new styles) I guess the higher end headphone market around here is pretty non-existent (also evidenced by Craigslist, etc.)

Anyone else have any stories with shop employees?

Where is "around here"?
cool.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 4
I've never even heard of the Magnolia Room... sounds like a nightclub
rolleyes.gif
Weird they would keep the brands separated.

I once went to a Radioshack to buy a Clip Zip for someone, wearing my HD25's and the salesbro tried to upsell, told me I should upgrade my headphones to Sol Republic Tracks. I don't have anything against Sol Tracks, but I mean... RS got kinda creepy with the pressure salesmanship in the later years, can't say I miss it very much, except that nothing's really taken its place for offline diy/electronics errand running.

Kinda surprised Best Buy is still around but the ones I've been to during these last few years all seemed reasonably busy.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 4

Where is "around here"?
cool.gif

Springfield, MO.
  I've never even heard of the Magnolia Room... sounds like a nightclub
rolleyes.gif
Weird they would keep the brands separated.

The Magnolia department of Best Buy is where they keep the high end TVs, audio systems, headphones, etc. It's for people with fairly to pretty serious money to drop. They keep it separate from the regular consumer products.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics/magnolia-home-theater/pcmcat139900050002.c?id=pcmcat139900050002

Users who are viewing this thread

Back