Best buy for these needs and budget? (Newbie Q)
Mar 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Defz

New Head-Fier
Hi all
smile.gif

I’m looking to purchase a pair of quality headphones but am not too knowledgeable in regards to listed specs or which ones are highly favoured by the majority of buyers so I’d appreciate any advice/recommendations from the pros.

I’ll want to use them for multiple purposes:

- Watching movies/gaming (PS3) rather than having to use the surround sound speakers at night as to not disturb those sleeping/next door neighbours
- Watching training video material via PC, YouTube/online videos
- Listening to music via PC/MP3 player

Budget:

I can really only spend a maximum of around £200 (approx $298). Obviously the cheaper the better but I don’t want to sacrifice important features and preferences by doing so.

Preferences:

- One of the most important things to me, if not the most important, is that they need to be closed back and leak as minimum sound as possible as well as be very good at blocking external sound/background noise. I’ve read a few reviews on various closed back headphones and almost all of them have at least a one review stating that they don’t really do a good job in those areas or they do in fact leak some sound. When I’m watching training videos and trying to concentrate, I need to block out distracting sounds (screaming, loud laughing, etc.) but also don’t want the sound to leak whilst I’m watching movies or listening to music and disturb those sleeping. Both of these features are very important.
- Circumaural headphones to be positioned around the ears rather than on them.

After reading around I’ve come to learn that the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO Headset – 80 ohm headphones may be ones to consider. They are regarded as being very bass heavy going by reviews but not sure if that’s a big problem if it doesn’t negatively impact the movie experience in a major way.

Will the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO/80 ohm 'phones cover everything I will be using them for or are there any others that I should maybe look at? Are there any for under £200 that do a better job than the DT770 Pro’s in terms of sound leakage and cancelling background noise? Will I also need to purchase an amp if I do go ahead with the DT770 Pro’s (80 ohm as opposed to the 250 ohm) for any of the uses mentioned?

I’d greatly appreciate any advice anyone may be able to offer,

Thank you very much.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 9
The Beyers should do pretty well for what you want. I'm not sure about the soundstage on them though. I've tried the Dt770's, they seemed to isolate pretty well (but I'm not sure how much sound leaked as it was pretty loud in guitar center that day). They had a good amount of bass but they didn't impress me. It's not that they are bad or anything. There are a lot of people that love these phones. The sound sig just wasn't for me.
The 80 ohms won't need an amp but would benefit from one but the 250 ohm definitely need an amp to drive.
You might also want to consider the Denon D2000's with J$ money pads. They don't isolate as well but enough that I don't bother my roommates when playing music or games.

What music are you going to be listening to?

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...You might also want to consider the Denon D2000

This is also my consideration for you. You may think for this audiophile headphone.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just read up a bit on the Denon 2000's and while they seem to have good user reviews almost everywhere, some also mention that they do leak some sound, although some users don't find that to be the case at all so it's a bit confusing - I don't want to spend a huge amount of money (by my standards) and find that I'm with the percentage of people that do find them to leak sound a fair bit, which is what I don't want.

The DT 770's though seem to be a decent all rounder. I'd be happy to pay that much extra for the Denon's if I was certain I wouldn't be disappointed in terms of isolation/leakage.

The Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's seem to also be good for my needs.. better than the DT770's?

Music wise, they'll be used to listen to all different genres - ranging from rock to hip-hop to chillout, a wide range of different music. Watching movies will be a primary use for them too though.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 9
Hm, I think the Beyers would be a good choice in terms of sound isolation, both in and out. You'll probably need an amplifier for those though (I'd say it's another 100, 200 USD at least). Denon D2000's are not as isolating, but should be easier to drive than the DT770's, which means you won't need an amp.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks Zeroblade.

Will I still need an amp for the 80ohm rather than the 250?
This is from a review of the DT770 Pro's from Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO review | Electricpig
Quote:

Sound like your cup of tea? Make sure you pick up the 80ohm version if you want to plug straight into an MP3 player – the 250ohm version’s hankering after an amp.

EDIT: Just come across the Shure SRH840 - these have been well reviewed and seem to be good at sound isolation. A wise to choice to buy these over the DT 770 Pro's?

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 9
No, an amp is not needed to use DT770 (32 and 80 ohm versions).
If primary use is watching movies, DT770 is a very good choice.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 9
I haven't tried the DT 770 without an amp, but I once plugged in an HD 595 into my iPod touch - absolutely horrible stuff. I refuse to use phones above 80 Ohms without an amplifier now LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back