best buds?
May 25, 2002 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

strangequark

New Head-Fier
bad pun fully intended
biggrin.gif

After hours of searching for some chorus of angels singing "buy these buds" I am utterly confused and no closer to deciding on a pair of buds. It seems that most people recommend either the ksc-35 (not buds) or mx500. I already have the ksc-35, but want something even smaller and quicker to put on.
I'm so picky
rolleyes.gif

Here are my requirements: Portable use only, no amp, with an mz-r500 minidisc recorder. Good bass, midrange, and highs would be, well, good. Cheap is good, so no etys, please. $50 or less would be good. This seems to point to the mx500, at least from what I've read, but the volume control is what prevents me from ordering them right now. I like to keep the cord under my shirt (when on the go), and don't like the idea of the volume control in there, might not be too comfortable. I don't have any preference regarding isolation.
After my answer-seeking session, the most interesting buds seem to be:
sony ex70
sony 888
sony 868
aiwa (not sure which models)
senn mx 500 and mx400
Please, point me in the right direction. Or, failing that, point me in some general area so I don't have to think as much
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 5
I wear the cord uunder my shirt as well (with mx500) and I don't feel the volume control. it's very tiny, hardly twice as thick as the cord. you don't notice it, trust me. get the mx500
cool.gif
it rules
biggrin.gif

someone came with some cheap Ratshack buds that should be good too, but even bigger than the mx500 (who aren't small to begin with).

from comments here, the ex70 are only a nice isolation/price compromise and not so hot in the sound area (but ok). the 888 are too expensive and supposedly not that much better than (and to some ears not as good as) the mx500. the 868 is probably a cheaper version, but probably still quite a bit more expensive than the mx500.

get the mx500 and be done with it man. they kick booty
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 5
i used to have the ex70s. they are great. they have loads of bass, but thats modable. they isolate, and one side of the cord is shorter than the other, making them perfect for the cord to go under your shirt, and they have a little case that you can put them in without even taking them off, they just hang like a necklace, safely. they isolate, whereas none of the others, save etys do. my reccomendation.

May 26, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 5
i just got my sony ex70's yesterday (YA!!!)....i cant tell about how they sound since i really only broke them in for about 5 hours so far...

sound aside, they have pretty good isolation. also, comfort factor: WOW! other ppl comment that you forget ur wearing them, but i always notice them....but they are still really damn comfortable...its just that you feel a *slight* pressure in your ear, like earplugs *duh*....

so far i really like them, and i hope the sound gets a little better since it sounds like crap rite now....hopefully in the US you can get them cheaper than the $100 canadian i paid...
mad.gif

May 26, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 5
IMO, the only reason to get the EX70 is if you need some kind of isolation and can't afford Etys.

The MX500 are my favorites -- better than the Sony models IMO and much cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back