Best budget tube amp/pre amps?
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TLDRonin

500+ Head-Fier
Whats the best tube amp/pre amp I can get for around $150 or under? I want to get a little taste of the tube sound and tube rolling experience but don't want to go too hard

I will be using it together with my DX3Pro so I'm wondering whether a pre amp would be a better option

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Whats the best tube amp/pre amp I can get for around $150 or under? I want to get a little taste of the tube sound and tube rolling experience but don't want to go too hard

None for what headphones you have.

I will be using it together with my DX3Pro so I'm wondering whether a pre amp would be a better option

You have to set the DX3Pro to line output, not preamp output, when using a headphone amp or an integrated amplifier. Use the preamp output for power amps ie they don't have any preamp circuits built in unlike an integrated amp or headphone amp.

Jun 24, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 3
If you have a low impedance headphone i'd say little dot mk 1+. I got myself one from ebay for 100 € with upgrade tubes and changed opamp and it sounds fabulous for that price. The tube difference is significant though so i don't know about the stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back