Best budget Portable in-ear phones
Nov 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tommygunb

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm willing to buy a budget (25$~30$) in-ear phones and I would like to get a recommendation.
I'm usually listening to rock / hard rock / rock progressive / metal progressive, jazz and blues music.
(Metallica, Dream Theater, Stevie Ray Vaughn, RHCP...)

What would make the best budget in-ear phones to buy? :p

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 6
For that price I think you'll get the best bang for buck from Chinese IEMs which offer a lot of value within that price point. We have a thread dedicated to discussing them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/805930/best-sub-100-chinese-brands-earphones-thread-hidden-gems-personal-favorite-best-deals-and-impressions-sharing-for-audiophile-on-budget-include-best-chinese-headphones-dap-section

Out of that thread here are some of the more popular or more commonly recommended earphones from stores that are trustworthy, at least to the best of my knowledge:

KZ ZS3 - these are bassy v-shaped headphones with plenty of clarity and crisp details and a nice bass that gives songs a nice oomph without being muddy or fatiguing and they have removable/replaceable cables which is a plus
KZ ATR - these are neutralish sounding. Probably won't sound as fun as the ZS3 but will provided better imaging, separation of instruments and will have better clarity. They will do better with more genres of music than the ZS3
KZ ED9 - these are bassy and fun sounding earphones that have adjustable nozzles that can change the sound signature, there are many reviews by head-fiers here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kz-ed9-tunning-nozzles-in-ear-headphones
Somic V4 - according to our user Nymphonomaniac these are described as: "Incredible sound for the price: detailed with great instrument separation, good punchy bass, and sparkling highs, Excellent cable. Ultimate value!!!" (full review here)
**** 4in1 - many head-fiers own this pair of earphones and enjoy them immensely but I couldn't find a detailed commend describing on the forum so here's a link to an external review: https://audiobudget.com/product.php?brand=****&id=4in1
Tennmak Pro - another head-fier favorite and well beloved earphone. Here's another review by Nymphonomaniac (just a small note: some head-fiers had issues with the default cable that came with these because one of the plugs is shorter than the other and sometimes leads to contact issues. You may want to pickup a cable if you order them just in case, here's a link to a nice one that was recommended to me by a very experienced head-fi member) Another thing of note, Tennmak sells a cable that turns these headphones, and any others that use the same cable plug: MMCX (like the **** 4in1 I mentioned) into a Bluetooth headset, so if you are interested also check out this accessory they sell: Bluetooth module

These should be enough for you to get your feet wet in the world of budget chinese IEM. I can almost certainly ensure you that all of those are of good quality and very good value but feel free to browse the topic link I posted in the first paragraph if you want to learn more about them individually or ask head-fiers who own them any specific questions.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree with Griffith and the Chinese IEM's. You're going to be limited in the under $30 range.

I originally started with:
1. Xiaomi Piston 2's,
2. moved to Piston 3's (a slight downgrade),
3. then Xiaomi Mi Hybrid (a big downgrade. The worst IEM of this group).
4. Afterwards I moved to 1more Single drivers (a massive upgrade, the best under $60 I've heard),
5. 1more Double drivers (a slight downgrade, better than the Mi Hybrid, but 2x the money of all the rest).
6. I then discovered the 1more Triple driver (they're amazing, best IEM under $100). 

I have since bought about 3 or 4 pairs of pistons for friends and about 6 or 7 Single drivers. For $30 the single drivers are amazing. I still use them as my Gym headphone. For me, Xiaomi's have become too hard to find authentic versions. It's easier to just order 1more.

***After finding the amazon links, I just realized that the singles are on sale for $20 today. I just ordered me another set.

http://www.amazon.com/1MORE-1M301-Single-Headphones-Microphone/

http://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Piston-Classic-Headphones-Space

Disclaimer: I have only heard Xiaomi Pistons, I haven't heard the 1more version. I'd be surprised if there was much difference, but I can't say for sure. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 6
I like the Soundmagic ES18 very much. It is only around $15.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd just like to add a new recommendation to this list. I recently received the **** UE (not to be confused with the **** UEs or other variants) and I very much appreciate their sound signature.

They have a laid back sound, the highs are sparkly and quick without being siblant and I've listened to a wide range of types of music with them, all of which sounded very nice to my ears. They also happen to "fit" very well with a lot of 80's/90's music I have on a playlist, one of which stuck in my mind was "She drives me crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals which sounded very lively and fun with the cymbals of the tambourine and the main "clap" beat accompanying the vocalist's voice which also sounds very clear and smooth.

The sub-bass isn't as extended as I think some would appreciate and I wouldn't recommend them to people that appreciate bass or warm sounding earphones because to them I think that these would sound a bit dry and in fact in some tracks they do give off that feeling but there are other tracks which usually favor bassy earphones that also sound very nice with these **** and where the bass doesn't seem lacking. Perhaps there is some dip in the frequency response that causes this.

Packaging wise I was also a bit surprised with the amount of accessories that came with them. I wasn't expecting a small carrying case (that usually retails for around $1), an earphone cable holder and over a dozen earphone tips. The cable is also of surprisingly good quality. It's not springy nor heavy. It's a tiny bit shorter than I would like it to be (around 5cm) and although it doesn't have as much strain relief as I'd like it to have in some points it is at least replaceable which means I'll be able to use these earphones for a long period of time, which I'll be happy to do.

They currently cost between $16.40 and $22.39 on the vendor I got them from depending on whether you want a cable included or not: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-****-UE-Custom-Made-Around-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Monitor-Earphone-Bass-Headset-With-MMCX-Interface/32506518312.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.kBneQA

If you'd like to see pictures of them or have any further questions or comments about them I'd be happy to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back