Best budget player?
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Egad Fuze/Clips are so over hyped on these forums.

why? they sound so damn good and are cheap too ... +1 for clip/fuze
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 27
Okay so I was basically trolling but to clarify, it's the worst sounding player of the ones I've owned.

It just reeks of average.

Bass extends reasonably but not particularly low and is not all that weighty giving you and low-mid bass thump. The D2 can be punchier but has less bass extension and both my rockboxed H320 and iPod 5.5G can have 20-40Hz bass which is very punchy and preferrable. Highs again, aren't either that articulate or extend very far, I would say it's definitely worse than both the iPod and D2, and slightly worse than the H320.

Yeah, okay you could say it's neutral but not everyone necessarily likes that. Some people like slightly sparkly highs, some like a slightly larger bass kick. Even if you want a fairly neutral sound, crappy recordings sometimes impel you to compensate which you can't. Thing is, adjusting the EQ beyond 1 or 2 steps muffles everything and other than that there's no other ability to modify the sound. Future rockbox enablement may change that depending on how customisable the DAC inside turns out to actually be but that's all speculation at this point.

Soundstage is pretty good, greater than the D2 without the sound-enhancing widener in use, but smaller than the H320/iPod.

My main problem with it was, songs that have say 2-3 overlapping melodies just seem to mush together. I go from either H320/iPod where I can follow each one separately whether it's the lead or backing to the Fuze where I can follow the lead but the backing become indiscernible.

Look I'm not contesting that people like the sound of it and that my opinion is just that, but I'm wondering how many people in that ridiculously long Fuze appreciation thread have an actual good frame of reference they can refer to and aren't just being compelled by FoTM-itis to perpetuate the vicious cycle.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Egad Fuze/Clips are so over hyped on these forums.

Impossible. Ergonomics + clean, neutral sound + (lack of) software = well justified FOTY.

I agree the EQ is useless, but an amp with bass boost gives me all the EQ I really want.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impossible. Ergonomics + clean, neutral sound + (lack of) software = well justified FOTY.

I agree the EQ is useless, but an amp with bass boost gives me all the EQ I really want.

true
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Earwax, what's your frame of reference?

Zune 30, Sansa E240, C240, M250, Creative Zen Plus, Creative N200, Various Sony PCDP and Minidisc that I've forgotten model numbers of, Iriver CD MP3, Samsung Yepp, Rio MP3.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 27
Difference of opinion then I guess. I really can't see anything remotely special about the Fuze. Good price and expandability, sure, but not much else.

May 7, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 27
Found iriver released the new E150 which is a upgrade from the previous! It looks better and i love graphic on the new UI. Will be another good budget player in the future.

May 12, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #26 of 27
The Sanza Clips and Fuzes are amazing in SQ and in the price to performance ratio.
If you want something else, the G4 Nano has 8 gigs (clips stop at 4 but have micro sd card expansion) and has great SQ (can be had for... 120 USD.

Clip/Fuse is cheaper.

May 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sanza Clips and Fuzes are amazing in SQ and in the price to performance ratio.
If you want something else, the G4 Nano has 8 gigs (clips stop at 4 but have micro sd card expansion) and has great SQ (can be had for... 120 USD.

Clip/Fuse is cheaper.

8Gb Clip

Clips do not have expansion slots, the Fuze does.

Not sure how the Nano compares with the Shuffle sound wise, but my wife has a Shuffle and the Clip sounds much better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back