Best Budget Open Cans Under 180 ?
Dec 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HyeVltg3

New Head-Fier
So odd that google failed me so I'll ask at the second best place I can think of =) I usually like self-help rather than asking for help. but times are dire!

I'm Canadian so my options are limited to Amazon.ca and maybe ebay if trusted seller. 180 USD (should be about 200 CDN)

I currently have my ears set on the Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 598(a little over 200, but free shipping)
I already have an Audioengine D1 so Amp is taken care of.

But I hate just buying name brand over quality, I wouldnt even know about Vmoda, Audio Technicas or Auduz'e if I never knew about Head-Fi. =D

Looking For: Open , Over-Ear
Budget:         <$180
Music:           R&B/Rap, Trap, Trance, Dance, Soca, Metal, Netflix, Youtube

I listen to the others more than metal. Power Metal to be exact.
I need the phones to be Open as I live alone and there have been countless times people knock on my door and I cant hear it or the doorbell and have been yelled at for being deaf too many times haha. Plus I've always owned closed/noise cancellers so would like the experience of my next Headphones to be Open =)

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 19
Hmm, well, you have a bit of a dilemma - open headphones typically have less bass than closed headphones - at least at the low-to-mid price range, however you listen to very bass heavy music. I was going to suggest the Philips Fidelio L1 but it looks like it sells for over your budget in Canada. I think Sennheiser is probably the answer. As an alternative, if you just want to experiment, you could try something lower cost, like the Takstar Hi-2050.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 19
Maybe I made the bass too much of a high priority. (Editied TP  just to get the message out that bass isnt everything)

Just looked up the Takster, really really loving the reviews. and $50?? are you serious! I love seeing underdogs challenge the >$200 cans and can hold their own up against the >$200 cans.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 19
Settled with the Takstar.
the Philips Fidelio L1 were too expensive everywhere I looked and comparing the reviews I found the Takstar to have better reception. 

Thank you billybob. =D

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 19
  Maybe I made the bass too much of a high priority. (Editied TP  just to get the message out that bass isnt everything)

Just looked up the Takster, really really loving the reviews. and $50?? are you serious! I love seeing underdogs challenge the >$200 cans and can hold their own up against the >$200 cans.

The Somic MH463 could be a good bassy option, but I think they're On Ear.

Also, the Superlux HD330 is another bassy open Headphone and Over ear.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 19
  The Somic MH463 could be a good bassy option, but I think they're On Ear.

Also, the Superlux HD330 is another bassy open Headphone and Over ear.

I had a glimpse of the Superlux HD330 thread on Head-Fi and I heard a ton of great things about it. But the PC builder in me looked at the model number and assumed it was inferior to the 668B ??!
What would you say is better 668B or HD330 for better bass representation ?

Actually just found www.thomann.de/ I did not know this is where they they sell almost all the the Superlux, Has anyone ordered from here? If its decent shipping to North America, I would actually love to get em too.

Are the Somic MH489 better than the MH463?

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 19
  So odd that Google failed me so I'll ask at the second best place I can think of =) I usually like self-help rather than asking for help. but times are dire!
I'm Canadian so my options are limited to Amazon.ca and maybe eBay if trusted seller. 180 USD (should be about 200 CDN)
I currently have my ears set on the Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 598 (a little over 200, but free shipping).
I already have an Audioengine D1 so Amp is taken care of.
But I hate just buying name brand over quality, I wouldn't even know about Vmoda, Audio Technicas or Auduz'e if I never knew about Head-Fi. =D
Music:           R&B/Rap, Trap, Trance, Dance, Soca, Metal, Netflix, Youtube
I listen to the others more than metal. Power Metal to be exact.
I need the phones to be Open as I live alone and there have been countless times people knock on my door and I cant hear it or the doorbell and have been yelled at for being deaf too many times haha. Plus I've always owned closed/noise cancelers so would like the experience of my next Headphones to be Open =)

Buy some used HD558s off eBay, remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, makes them more open (more kind of like the HD598s).
Order some Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs, off eBay, shipped from Japan.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 19

I had a glimpse of the Superlux HD330 thread on Head-Fi and I heard a ton of great things about it. But the PC builder in me looked at the model number and assumed it was inferior to the 668B ??!
What would you say is better 668B or HD330 for better bass representation ?

Actually just found www.thomann.de/ I did not know this is where they they sell almost all the the Superlux, Has anyone ordered from here? If its decent shipping to North America, I would actually love to get em too.

Are the Somic MH489 better than the MH463?

The HD330 is bassier than the 668B. By the way the HD330 needs power, they´re 150 Ohms. Review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/631222/superlux-hd330-29euros-gives-you-a-lot-review

Other option could be the 681 Evo, they´re bassy and they´re 32 Ohms. Which one is more bassy? Im not sure, but I think the HD330 is even bassier than the 681 Evo.

And Im dont know which Somic is better, Im just gonna say that I read someone saying that the MH463 is bassier than CAL. 
L3000.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 19
  Audioengine D1 would be enough to power 150 Ohms no?

I own the Superlux HD660, closed version of the HD330, while the sound quality (HD660) is very good for the price you pay, the headphones have a lot of clamp, I had to switch my HD660 to Velours to make them more comfortable.
The coiled cable that comes on the HD660 headphones is very stiff, it will not "uncoil" nearly as easy as other coiled cables.
I'm assuming the HD330 is the same.

Takstar Hi2050s are a more comfortable to wear and use then the HD660 (& HD330?).

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 19
Well call me crazy but I ended up grabing the HD330, 668D AND Takstars Hi2050.
Crazy indeed.
Total: ~210

probably sell the remaining two when I've finalized my choice haha. 210 for three headphones is wayy better than 210 for only one. 

Now just need to know will the Audioengine D1 be able to power everything to max potentials?

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 19
  Well call me crazy but I ended up grabing the HD330, 668D AND Takstars Hi2050.
Crazy indeed.
Total: ~210

probably sell the remaining two when I've finalized my choice haha. 210 for three headphones is wayy better than 210 for only one. 

Now just need to know will the Audioengine D1 be able to power everything to max potentials?

http://audioenginefiles.com/pdfs/D1%20review%20pdfs/Playback_D1%20review.pdf 

It says: Built-in high-performance headphone amplifier (20 ohm to 300 ohm optimal headphone impedance). So the answer is yes.

And good luck with three headphones. xD

By the way the HI2050 aren't a bassy headphones. They have a good low end but overall they´re neutral.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks Samu.

Was just a bit confused, I mentioned in my OP that I had the D1 but then you stated I need 150 Ohms to drive the HD330 so assumed the D1 wasnt sufficient enough. haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back