Best budget noise-cancelling headphones?
Jun 2, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, if the AKG K28NC is a K26P with NC capabilities, it would be great.

Ive used Creative HN700s, absolutely needed a 9dB treble boost, no clarity otherwise
biggrin.gif
The noise cancelling was great though.

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Bose QuietComfort 2 *evil grin and runs away*
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Maybe something by Shure or Etymotic. I´ve got the Etymotic ER-6i. They´re very clear and neutral sounding, but the bass is considered by some to be a bit weak.

I´m not a fan of the active noise cancellation models. First you need batteries and the electronics are bulky. But the biggest deal breaker (for me) is the weird pressure sensation the NC is on. The noise is definately reduced, but you feel ¨something¨ there. Some sort of tension in the air.

In comparison, the IEM noise cancellation models are small and lightweight. They reduce background noise as much as the active ones, no pressure sensation, and no need for batteries (you save $$ in the long run).

On the downside, IEMs are more difficult to put on and take off. Every time the wife comes to bug me (like every 3 mins!), I struggle to get the on/off quickly enough.

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 7
I recently borrowed a pair of PXC 150s and was mightily impressed. It's said that the PXC 250 is audibly better, and when you compare their reconditioned prices, the difference is only about $20 ($10 vs. $80).

When searching, you'll want to try four variations:

PXC150
PXC 150
PX150
PX 150

I've even seen
PCX150
PXC 150

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CleanTunes
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It would help if you were more specific - do you want them because you figure that noise cancelling headphones, being more expensive, will give you the best sound? That's what I thought when I bought a pair - but I was wrong.

Do you want them first and foremost to block out noise, then to play music? If so, I thought the $150-$200 Sony model was the best at that. But you might also consider IEM's. While active noise cancelling headphones only actively block out low end noise, and reduce other noise somewhat because they cover your ear, IEM's seal your ear canal and reduce noise (or so I've been told, over and over again) across all levels:
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...n-ear-monitor/

Personally, I've found "closed" headphones to be good enough at blocking noise while playing music for my purposes, but if you really want active noise cancelling headphones that do a good job at both blocking noise and playing music, I would seriously recommend the Bose QuietComfort's. Basically, all the closed, noise-cancelling headphones I've tried that do a really good job at blocking noise are very poor at playing music. The under-$100 models don't do active noise-cancelling very well, the $150-$200 Sony model's music is fairly flat and lifeless, which just leaves the Bose - at $300.

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland
I recently borrowed a pair of PXC 150s and was mightily impressed. It's said that the PXC 250 is audibly better, and when you compare their reconditioned prices, the difference is only about $20 ($10 vs. $80).

When searching, you'll want to try four variations:

PXC150
PXC 150
PX150
PX 150

I've even seen
PCX150
PXC 150

The problem with these is that since they're small and rest on top of your ear, they don't isolate very well, if that's important to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back