Best budget bookshelf speakers?
Sep 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to figure out where my speakers stand among the rest. I ordered the WAF-1's so I voted for them. 
wink.gif

Which do you think (in your opinion) are the best overall speakers price vs. performance wise and explain why.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 8
The best speakers I've owned under 1000 have been the tekton ob4.5's although bass isn't as good as some of the other speakers in every other aspect they beat every other speakers that I've heard. I've owned the Paradigm atoms v.3 & titans v.2, Klipsh RB3, tekton 6.5, B&W 705's.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 8
impossible to answer, it really depends on what you want from the speakers.

i chose some tannoy DC4 because i wanted midrange and soundstage with fantastic vocal performance (on some recordings it's bloody freakish, speakers vanish and it's like there is another mouth in the room, "pinpoint" indeed), and for £245 delivered they deliver this in bucket loads, but of course there is a trade-off, and that is they don't do bass as deep as other speakers, even cheaper ones, but what bass there is is clear and articulated well.

From your list i would vote for the diamond 10.1, they are very able speakers and are very competitively priced - and the only ones I've heard on the list :p

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 8
I think the best budget speakers are second-hand "not-budget" speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Vast numbers of bookshelf speakers have been made in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

There really haven't been any improvements in speaker design for decades.

Because there is such a plentiful supply of speakers second-hand the prices can be low.

From an environmental perspective I think it is good not to buy something new when there is such a surplus of its ilk already.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Id have to go with Tekton Design 8.1/6.5En/4.5OB, Seas Loki's, Zaph Audio SR71s, Seas Idunn's, or Dynaco A25's (new reproduction units are over $1000, but vintage used ones can be had for as little as $25 per pair, only difference is the tweeter).  Id really look for a pair of vintage A25s...they sound MUCH larger than their size dictates.  I picked up my A25s for $35, all they needed was a little cabinet love, and the cap replaced on the crossovers.  http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dynaco/floorstanding-speakers/a25/PRD_119436_1594crx.aspx

Dynaco A25

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Era D4 or D5. Amazing little speakers with Aerial designed drivers. The price/performance, especially for the little D4, is off the charts.

+1. They are amazing for the price, and compete with much pricier speakers IMO. The D4's make serious bass for something that size, and image superbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back