Best budget amp under 150 USD
Jan 1, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 59
If one is significantly more expensive than the other, get the cheaper one. They are both of similar quality that spending a lot more on one over the other isn't necessary.

I agree with this especially in the context of starting out with amps. Chances are, most people's headphones won't need anything more powerful than either of these, and the rest of the specs are rock-solid.

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 59

Personally i think the deciding factor isnt going to be any edge of one product over the other (excuse my sloppy English) but the factor of availability in my country.( VERY limited choices here in Malaysia)

Did some searching ................. couldnt find anyone who sells either of the amps in Malaysia. There simply isnt a demand for these. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #18 of 59
  Did some searching ................. couldnt find anyone who sells either of the amps in Malaysia. There simply isnt a demand for these. 

Is it prohibitively expensive to buy online from another country and have it shipped to you? If so, one thing you can do is put up a wanted ad here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 59

Is it prohibitively expensive to buy online from another country and have it shipped to you? If so, one thing you can do is put up a wanted ad here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/6551/amplification-for-sale-trade

Shipping usually costs a premium of 30 USD not including tax and customs duty.This would make it not worth it for the price IMO so I would try to avoid it as much as possible.

How would a wanted ad help? Im not sure how that would be better than buying from another country.
Please Clarify.THX

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 59
  Shipping usually costs a premium of 30 USD not including tax and customs duty.This would make it not worth it for the price IMO so I would try to avoid it as much as possible.

How would a wanted ad help? Im not sure how that would be better than buying from another country.
Please Clarify.THX

That stuff is brutal. Can't believe they get away with all that in so many countries. (In the US, we don't have to pay any taxes, customs fees, import fees, or anything else for any packages we import.)

You may be able to find someone in your country who would be willing to sell something to you, for example.

Another option is to just go for a lower-powered amp or amp/DAC, since you probably won't need the extra power anyway. I got good results with a Schiit Fulla, which is $79 in the US. Right now I'm using a Pyle PHA40, which is under $20!

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 59
As far as I can see, this is a Malaysian shop that sells headphone gear:
http://shop.amplifiedhead.com/

They do run a good selection of FiiO products including the E10K, E12, E17K and E18, all of which are priced at less than 150 USD. Maybe others on this forum can suggest, which of these would be the better choice?

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 59
That stuff is brutal. Can't believe they get away with all that in so many countries. (In the US, we don't have to pay any taxes, customs fees, import fees, or anything else for any packages we import)

Lucky you then. It really sucks here especially with the recent depreciation of the ringgit. Used to be 3 ringgit to 1 dollar. Now it's 4.3 ringgit to the dollar.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #23 of 59
Even distributors here take advantage of the lack of competition. Beyerdynamic T1s are sold for $1230 here but only 885 in Amazon.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 59
As far as I can see, this is a Malaysian shop that sells headphone gear:
http://shop.amplifiedhead.com/

They do run a good selection of FiiO products including the E10K, E12, E17K and E18, all of which are priced at less than 150 USD. Maybe others on this forum can suggest, which of these would be the better choice?

I've looked through FiiO 's product line before and I'm looking to move away from FiiO 's "warm" house sound.
And if I have to get a portable amp/DAC, I would get the Ibasso D-zero MKII which is actually about the same price here as in the US.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 59
Just get whatever's most readily available that has the specs you need.

If you list headphones you plan on using in the future with whichever amp you get, I can calculate the power requirements for each headphone so you can rest easy.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #26 of 59
Just get whatever's most readily available that has the specs you need.

If you list headphones you plan on using in the future with whichever amp you get, I can calculate the power requirements for each headphone so you can rest easy.

Currently the most demanding pair I have is the Senn HD 650. Other than that I just want a really good and clean amp section. Actually as good as possible for the price which lead me to start this thread.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #27 of 59
Currently the most demanding pair I have is the Senn HD 650. Other than that I just want a really good and clean amp section. Actually as good as possible for the price which lead me to start this thread.

Ah. You don't have that one listed in your signature or profile. That changes things somewhat.

It still sounds good even on lower-power amps, but you might want to look for something with a bit more juice.

I can't find output power specs for the iBasso D-Zero MK2 aside from at 16 ohms, unfortunately.

I still think your best bet is to put up a wanted ad to see if other Head-Fi'ers in your country can sell you a desktop amp with good power-for-money.

(Any decent amp is gonna already have a neutral frequency response, inaudibly low distortion, etc., so you often don't need to worry about all that stuff, though it's good policy to double-check the specs in advance. I don't care about the whole "synergy" thing with tube amps that everyone goes on about, because if I want an altered frequency response, distortion, and so on, I can achieve that effect with a parametric equalizer and other free software.)

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #28 of 59
Ah. You don't have that one listed in your signature or profile. That changes things somewhat.

That's because it's my dad's.
Anyways... How does this change things? I won't be using them often anyways, only use them if a particular song makes my ears bleed with my CKR-9s. I prefer detail and transparency over most aspects.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #29 of 59
That's because it's my dad's.
Anyways... How does this change things? I won't be using them often anyways, only use them if a particular song makes my ears bleed with my CKR-9s. I prefer detail and transparency over most aspects.

If you'll rarely use it, then it doesn't change things from before. Just glancing at your other listed headphones, it doesn't look like any will need a lot of power at all.

Also, for songs that are painful to listen to, you can always use EQ with the same headphone, particularly reducing upper frequencies with a parametric equalizer.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 59
. I don't care about the whole "synergy" thing with tube amps that everyone goes on about, because if I want an altered frequency response, distortion, and so on, I can achieve that effect with a parametric equalizer and other free software.)

No you can't . What tube amps have you owned/heard to make this definitive statement? Please link your EQ settings that make your Pyle amp sound like a Bottlehead Crack with 650......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back