Best Budget AMP/DAC recommendation for playing classical & instrumental music
Nov 2, 2016 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ShikuroSaki

New Head-Fier
Hello! I've been looking for a recommendation for the best budget AMP/DAC for playing classical & instrumental music. While surfing the web for reviews, I've found some choices like the Schiit Fulla, FiiO E10K & E12 Mont Blanc to be interesting, but still really really confused on my final decision. Is there any other better choices for +-$100 budget AMP/DAC? Maybe good portable ones? What I prioritize is the the detail, clarity, and soundstage, so I can hear the strings and resonance better. Currently, I'm using the HD 598. Thank you.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Ooh i see. Which one do you think is better for classical, Schiit or FiiO?

Edit : I found one more choice : the JDSLabs cmoybb. This is getting more and more confusing on what choice to make... :confused_face_2:

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 12
You know the cmoybb really is a fun little unit and it sounds pretty great too. With the  it should have a quiet background which will help with you preferred genre of classical. I'd probably choose between the cmoybb or Fiio with the deciding factor being the slight difference in cost and which one I think looks better.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Hmm... Both seems nice. Is there any noticeable difference for the clarity and soundstage between them?
My top two choices now are the JDS Labs CmoyBB or FiiO E17K Alpen 2
Btw sorry for my being so indecisive. Still a newbie here to the world of audiophile...

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 12
I've only heard the CmoyBB myself. To really get a feel for soundstage you need to listen for a long time and in a nice quiet environment. Afraid I can't help you there, you'd have to find someone that has owned both and has good ears to be able to make an informed decision.

What most people do is bite the bullet and just pick one. Welcome to the audiophile hobby where we do A LOT of guessing lol.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Hmm... Both seems nice. Is there any noticeable difference for the clarity and soundstage between them?
My top two choices now are the JDS Labs CmoyBB or FiiO E17K Alpen 2
Btw sorry for my being so indecisive. Still a newbie here to the world of audiophile...
Doubt your going to hear a big difference between any at this price. If your listening from a computer most dacs in them is pretty good at this price point. I would recommend a O2 amp I'm sure you can find one for your budget low noise and powerful. Even though a amp/dac can help with clarity and soundstage the most important factor is the headphone. Haven't heard the 598's but own 280 Pro's and 700's and have heard the 600's 650's 800's and 800S's they are all different and react differently to different amps but the O2 would power them all.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 12
B
I've only heard the CmoyBB myself. To really get a feel for soundstage you need to listen for a long time and in a nice quiet environment. Afraid I can't help you there, you'd have to find someone that has owned both and has good ears to be able to make an informed decision.

What most people do is bite the bullet and just pick one. Welcome to the audiophile hobby where we do A LOT of guessing lol.

Doubt your going to hear a big difference between any at this price. If your listening from a computer most dacs in them is pretty good at this price point. I would recommend a O2 amp I'm sure you can find one for your budget low noise and powerful. Even though a amp/dac can help with clarity and soundstage the most important factor is the headphone. Haven't heard the 598's but own 280 Pro's and 700's and have heard the 600's 650's 800's and 800S's they are all different and react differently to different amps but the O2 would power them all.

I usually use my asus rog laptop and iphone vlc player to listen to my music. Guess I'll need to find some audio shops that allow the amp dac device testing with my HD598 and gun down on one after all lol. Btw thanks for all your recommendations, I'll try to compare them all.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 12
The drop for the Centrance DACport slim ($99) runs pretty frequently on Massdrop...never heard it but reviews seem to be good as well.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/centrance-dacport-slim-amp-dac-combo?mode=guest_open

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778966/review-centrance-dacport-slim-dac-amp-combo

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 12
It seems that in the end, I ended up buying the Radius AL-LCH 91 DAC/AMP when i compared it with the others directly in the shop. The sound is much clearer, enhances the sound stage and very good instrument separation when compared to the others, so its very suited for classical music. The price is double but well worth for long term investment. I don't know why Head-Fi neither have a review nor a listing for this product. Thanks again for your recommendations guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back