Best budget ($100) Amp/Dac combo for laptop?
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SHP53

Head-Fier
Looking for a budget AMP/DAC combo for my pair of Denon d2000's. I will be using these primarily with my microsoft laptop.

I listen to classical, hip hop, r&b, metal, and EDM, basically everything!

Also, I was wondering if I even needed a DAC? Should I get a DAC/AMP combo or just a stand-alone desktop amp?

How do you determine if you need a DAC as well?

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 5
A DAC wouldn't be needed if the source is like a line out, some are like that but I doubt a computer headphone out would be, so I'd recommend a DAC/amp combo, like the FiiO E10k or the Schiit Fulla 2. Those products get thrown around a lot around here so I am too :). The Fulla 2 is a bit more powerful but you won't need the extra power for the Denons.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks a lot for the response! Denon d2000's definitely do not require much power, and I plan on using these babies for years to come. So i'll opt for the cheaper option (Fiio e10k) $75 rather than the Schiit Fulla 2 (as aesthetically pleasing it is...)

Any thoughts about the Audioquest Dragonfly?

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
If you don't have any noise/interference on your laptop output you probably don't need a DAC. The denons are also low impedance and high efficiency which means they don't need a ton of power so you probably don't need an amp either.

It sort of depends on what you want out of the amp/DAC. The E10 and Fulla are also good options if you want something. The mica Origen+ is an option if you want native support for higher red audio files. You could also look at a Fiio Q1 if you want something witth an internal battery that is a bit more portable since it can be used more easily with a phone or DAP. If you want something that will change the sound you might look at a cheap hybrid tube amp. Those won't be "audiophile", but different can be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back