Best Bookshelf Speakers $500 or less
Jul 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers for under $300 (MSRP $600), and hooked up to a vintage Onkyo integrated amplifier, they are amazing for the price. Incredibly smooth and sweet highs, uncolored and balanced midrange, and impactful, extended lows (very good for a 5 1/2" driver). They are a generally neutral speaker, slightly warm sounding (the bass is, at least), but balanced enough for studio usage.
They are great for any genre (I've tried classical, rock, pop, trance, folk, jazz, modern), and you said you also use logic pro, so they're good to go for studio use.

If your budget was under $250, i'd say go for Audioengine or M-Audio, but since its $500, you can do a lot better with something like the Energy paired with a Rotel/NAD integrated amplifier.

I would take Energy RC-10s all day long over those powered speakers, as good as they might be. They're not going to compete with true bookshelves and an amp.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #33 of 49
I went with active speakers for my desktop too. I just didn't have the space for a good amp.

I haven't heard the Mackie MR5. I've listened extensively to the HR824 and found them to be truly amazing. The MR5 have gotten praise so I think they're worth a listen.

I've listened to the Audioengine A5 casually a couple of times and liked what I heard. There was a MacWorld coupon available a while ago that made them tempting and pretty affordable.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #34 of 49
I just picked up the Blue Sky Exo 2.1 system on clearance from the Guitar Center near my work for $199 (normally $349). I was leaning towards the A5s, but for this price I couldn't pass them up and am very happy with them.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by richpjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up the Blue Sky Exo 2.1 system on clearance from the Guitar Center near my work for $199 (normally $349). I was leaning towards the A5s, but for this price I couldn't pass them up and am very happy with them.

I forgot about Blue Sky. They are actually a very good buy for the $$.

Still, Av123 X-LS Encore or ELT bookshelves + a decent little amp = yes. The X-LS hit harder than any other bookshelf under $1000 that I have heard. Aka, get the X-LS and a sub becomes less important than with other bookshelves. You still need one but for most music it is just fine.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #36 of 49
I use the a5, good build quality, Kevlar and silk. Not the cardboard like stuff in a lot of other speaker drivers. Plus if you look around, you may be able to get the matching sub with them for 500. That would take a bit of shopping around though.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 49
so basically the best deal would be the A5s and the RC10s with an amp.

sorry to revive this old thread but my budget is pretty limited too. i'll be using the speakers for music (all sorts), movies, and games. would an active speaker set up fit me better or the RC10s with an amp?

I'm fairly certain that a tube amp is out since i'm not using the speakers strictly for music, so if the votes go towards the RC10s which affordable amp would make a good pairing?

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #38 of 49
A5s are well loved. I just ordered Swan M200MKIII, because I like the look and I really wanted to try them. If I don't like them I will get A5s
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #40 of 49
buy some peerless nomex drivers and some vifa tweeters + build your own box = studio reference monitors

if you want three-way cabinets, try the peerless xxls subwoofers in 4ohms (midrange and tweeter @ 8ohms)
make sure you go the ported route either way if you want any kind of bass.
bookshelf speakers dont offer base in 2way models.. they arent supposed to -and when you ask them to, you lose details in the sound.

honestly you can put those midranges in free-air along with the tweeter, dont expect any bass, but the mids and highs will be fine if you calibrate your equalizer.
i have mine sitting on top of the speaker box because my 12inch woofer was making the midranges move too much and distorted the sound because the back of the speaker wasnt sealed off from the big woofer.
i re-calibrated my EQ and havent heard the 12's hurt the little midranges since.
the sound is a little 'lite' but it is easy on the ears and offers much less fatigue.
besides.. those midranges can use the xmax to make the male vocals sound 'beefier' when used without a box.

hell.. my midranges dont even move despite the big beautiful rubber surround that they have.

peerless = a quick and easy $50 per speaker for audiophile quality sound

just dont buy any cheap generic junk crossover, because it could hurt the overall quality of the output.

my speakers can produce male vocals and female vocals at the same time with lots of seperation.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and upgradibility with the A5s? since theres a built in amp, i'm going to go ahead and assume you're not supposed to amp twice, therefore the only thing that could help is a preamp?

No amping twice is not advised as you will lower the SNR of the system and possibly dmage the amp. If you are interested in trying different amplifers then go with a passive speaker set.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #43 of 49
I'm going to have to chime in here, whenever mentions the A5's, you must also consider the Aktimate Mini's. They receive just as much universal approval as the A5's, and especially for you to consider, they actually have an iPod dock on them, so you can just plug straight in and enjoy your music. I have a pair and I couldn't really be happier. I don't know how easy they will be to source for you, but definately consider them.
biggrin.gif

IgnitionSuite_Image(4672).jpg

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #45 of 49
Sorry to revive an old thread but figured this is the best location to ask.

I'm new to bookshelf speakers and would like to get your inputs. I'm looking for a pair at $380 max budget. I'm just looking for one that I can simply connect my dap via Aux cable or BT. So far i've narrowed it down to the following:

- PreSonus Ceres BT (either 3.5 or 4.5)
- AudioEngine 5+ (possible used)
- AudioEngine B2 (not exactly a bookshelf speak)

Any comments? Suggestions on SQ? Or other suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back