Best Bookshelf Speakers $500 or less
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right forum on the internet or not but I was wondering if anyone could reccommend a great pair of bookshelf sized speakers that would cost no more than $500. I'm looking to use the speakers for playing songs on my iPod and also working with Logic Pro on my Mac. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 49
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jt4266 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Audioengine A5's and have been pleased with them.

I have looked into the A5's and like what I've read about them. I also like the fact that they cater to an iPod. I am just wondering if there is better sound quality to be had if I am willing to spend up to $500.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 49
Check active speakers have enough inputs, and also know about volume control (maybe on the back, or have to match each one, unless you use a master volume elseware, unless you send it digital in which case volume on the computer isn't functional)

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek1984 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I don't want to have to buy an amplifier. I just want the best sound quality I can get for my iPod and Mac Pro that won't require anything more than the speakers.

If you want the best active bookshelf speakers there is, get the Dynaudio Focus A110. Here's a good review. Those speakers are not inside the $500 mark, but you said "I just want the best sound quality I can get" ( they cost about $2500)
icon10.gif
Otherwise, if the $500 is after all a factor to weigh in
tongue.gif
, I'd recommend the Audioengine A5's (I have the A2's myself and like 'em allot!)

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 49
The Mackie MR5 is also a good option.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mackie MR5 is also a good option.

Yes, that and the A5's are probably the most reccomended active speakers I've came across. I personally just bought a pair of white A5's from someone on these forums. Can't wait to get em.
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 49
I haven't heard the A5's, but I'll tell you this: I've never researched a product before that has had unanimous reviews on how great they are. Every professional review I've read on them has given them their highest (or as close as possible) mark. They must be damn good. I'm going to give them a try myself when I get the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back