Best book shelf speakers for under 1000?
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

VocaloidDude

500+ Head-Fier
I have an amplifier hooked up to my computer through my external dac. I've been using these cambridge audio speakers for my computer for the past several years now. They're pretty nice, but I've just been thinking about upgrading them to something nicer. I mostly used headphones for several years, and recently I've been enjoying listening to music through my speakers a lot more.

I don't know if bookshelf speakers are the only type of speaker setup. I definitely don't want a sub woofer because I live in an apartment and that would probably be havoc on my neighbors. What I have right now is acceptable though.

I also don't know if the amplifier I have is respectable. It was just some cheapo 100 dollar amp, but it seems to get the job done. I'd probably get new speakers and then upgrade to a new amplifier later.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 6
There isn't a "best". There is simply a best for you. I would go somewhere where you can audition different bookshelf speakers with your music. You will probably find that your taste in speaker sound will coincide with your preferences with headphones. If you tend to like neutral to neutral-bright, you will probably be drawn to horn and/or metal dome tweeters. If your preferences tend to be neutral to neutral-warm, you will probably be drawn to silk dome or folded ribbon tweeters. Next, you have to consider where these will be set up. Are these going to be near-field monitors at your computer or a separate set up on speaker stands?

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 6
If you don't want to have to worry about the amp, you could go for powered speakers that have amps inside them. I use the JBL LSR305, but have not heard others, so I'm not entirely sure what would be the absolute best under $1,000.

I do know that Genelec, ADAM, JBL, Yamaha, Mackie, and KRK are some of the most well-regarded manufacturers of active studio monitors in that range, while Ascend, KEF, Klipsch, SVS, and Wharfedale are a few in the passive bookshelf speaker category. If you can't audition anything in advance, you'll need to do research to decide which might appeal to you.

If you don't want a subwoofer, take note of the specs for each speaker to see how deep they can go. Mine extend to 43 Hz, but go lower than that; they just roll off dramatically after that point. Depending on the music, you may not notice some of the sub-bass missing. I notice it with a handful of recordings, but it's not a major issue.

Are these going to be near-field monitors at your computer or a separate set up on speaker stands?

Speakers on stands can still be nearfield. Click here for a photo of what my setup looks like. Many would say that anything closer than six feet is nearfield.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Your preferences play an important role.
Check Focal Chorus/Focal Aria/Dynaudio Excite/B&W CM/DALI Ikon mk2/Monitor Audio Silver
You'll need stands, careful placement, some acoustic absorvers and a quality amplifier down the road to make the speakers shine.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't know if bookshelf speakers are the only type of speaker setup.

Bookshelf speakers can be used nearfield, ie a desk set-up.
1620904.jpg

Bookshelf and tower speakers can be used on a more conventional set-up sitting farther away.
04acbb9a613df57b214a6c98ef78b706.jpg

f697de06178a6e145fbd0babac76d761.jpg

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 6
There isn't a "best". There is simply a best for you. I would go somewhere where you can audition different bookshelf speakers with your music. You will probably find that your taste in speaker sound will coincide with your preferences with headphones. If you tend to like neutral to neutral-bright, you will probably be drawn to horn and/or metal dome tweeters. If your preferences tend to be neutral to neutral-warm, you will probably be drawn to silk dome or folded ribbon tweeters. Next, you have to consider where these will be set up. Are these going to be near-field monitors at your computer or a separate set up on speaker stands?
These are going to be used exclusively as computer speakers. I have speaker wire and an amplifier set up like a regular speaker system though. There's no USB cables involved here, except for the RCA cables that hook up to my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back