Best Bluetooth Speakers in 2020
Jul 26, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 40
Really enjoying the pair of mini2's I got in December. They have some interesting differences from the Minirig 3. One thing that took me too long to notice was that when paired in BT stereo, the primary speaker is the right channel, while the secondary speaker is the left. This is opposite on the 3's. Also after the mini's have been paired in stereo, they will not work wired in input mode. They line out to a sub no problem, but require a factory reset to work wired line in again. Also, when wired two presses of the button will make a right channel with two wires inserted (as pictured) and a left channel with one wire inserted. Important to note that this is on update version 14, as it may all change.

These speakers are on another level wired. The sub is capable of going louder without clipping (my files are too much for high gain), and deeper. Blending the sound signature from the mini's, the 3's and the sub3 is the best stereo I've ever had. Recommended
Do you find that adding the Mini to the Minirig 3 + Sub3 combo to be worth it? I like the idea a lot but adding 2 more cables & components puts me off. How much difference does it make to the overall sound characteristics when pushing max SPL?

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 40
Definitely worth it for me, but maybe wouldn't recommend for everyone. Unless you can't play loud at home and don't have a better stereo. I went from two mini's, two 3's, and a sub through the dragonfly (above), to just the mini's on BT, and thought 'wow, that sounds good, even has some punch'. I find I take them everywhere, being that much smaller and lighter. I love the high mids they provide. They seem to impossibly match the volume of the 3's, without the body and weight. I used them in a noisy warehouse, high gain max volume and got 2.5 hours before the batteries went. The 3's destroy them in that department.

Hope that helps. They do add to the dynamics seamlessly, but more cables, more batteries to use and charge, more money. You won't regret your choice , I think :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #34 of 40
One more quirk about the mini's. When in BT 2.1, the mini with the sub plugged in adjusts it's eq with less bass. This can sound terribly unbalanced, especially if the sub is central. Plugging a dummy aux cable in the secondary speaker will match its eq with the primary speaker.

Oct 19, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 40
Definitely worth it for me, but maybe wouldn't recommend for everyone. Unless you can't play loud at home and don't have a better stereo. I went from two mini's, two 3's, and a sub through the dragonfly (above), to just the mini's on BT, and thought 'wow, that sounds good, even has some punch'. I find I take them everywhere, being that much smaller and lighter. I love the high mids they provide. They seem to impossibly match the volume of the 3's, without the body and weight. I used them in a noisy warehouse, high gain max volume and got 2.5 hours before the batteries went. The 3's destroy them in that department.

Hope that helps. They do add to the dynamics seamlessly, but more cables, more batteries to use and charge, more money. You won't regret your choice , I think :)
Odd that... I prefer the Minis for the most part over the 3's. I think it depends on the room size and placement also. I find the 3's are just too overpowering in my small cubic kitchen. The Minis are brilliant for low-medium volumes. The Minis are just brilliant. I use the 3's often enough in the car where i need the oomph to overcome ambient noise. For a party, can't beat the 3's + sub though :)

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #37 of 40
Nice setup! What is the brand of that cable? Thinking of going for a Dragonfly for my 2.2 setup. I´m so impressed by these little speakers. I´m actually using them as monitors when I make music as well.
Audioquest Golden Gate 3.5mm - 3.5mm. Perhaps a little overpriced, but certainly look pretty. Started with one Audioquest Evergreen, and was so impressed with the sonic difference, upgraded to Golden Gate. Need 3 more for nine Minirigs together (Minirig3 x 4, mini2 x 2, and Sub3 x 3).

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #38 of 40
Odd that... I prefer the Minis for the most part over the 3's. I think it depends on the room size and placement also. I find the 3's are just too overpowering in my small cubic kitchen. The Minis are brilliant for low-medium volumes. The Minis are just brilliant. I use the 3's often enough in the car where i need the oomph to overcome ambient noise. For a party, can't beat the 3's + sub though :)
I thought the recent update to version 19 made the 3's sound even more overpowered, maybe too boomy, but I'm adjusting to it. The mini's win with detail and atmosphere.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #39 of 40
I thought the recent update to version 19 made the 3's sound even more overpowered, maybe too boomy, but I'm adjusting to it. The mini's win with detail and atmosphere.
Is that a software update to the 3's? Ive never bothered to even check for updates. I just think the 3's need more room to breathe over the mini's. Better suited to more distance between listening position speaker. A more "trad" hifi set up if you like. The minis are amazing little things. I've noticed really big differences in bass boost depending where I site them, and the bass gained is still quite tight. Eg under kitchen cabinets backed to wall, as opposed to in the middle of the room on kitchen table, massive difference. Not too surprising of course, but its really chalk and cheese in terms of bass output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back