Best basshead headphones?
May 14, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #16 of 65
I just stumbled across this thread.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro. For a really bass heavy sound, I suggest coupling it with the Fiio E11 amp - this combination will rival the Crossfade LP any day of the week. (and yes I have the v-moda's as well)

I've got a new amp coming in the post so i wanted to go back to my Beyerdynamic's for a few days and WOW that E11 adds almost too much bass when you put the EQ on 2 (there is 0 for no bass boost, 1 to boost the sub-bass a little, and 2 which boosts the entire bass range of frequencies A LOT)

I have the 80 ohm version and suggest you do too. Do not bother with the 32 ohm edition, in my opinion, as you are getting lower build quality and less comfortable earpads.

The isolation is some of the best you will find in closed headphones that are not noise cancelling. It is superior to the v-moda's (like i said i have both and for the last few months before this week the v-moda's were my daily headphones).

Plus if you have ever found your v-moda to be a little uncomfortable, the earcups on the DT770s are much bigger, so that won't be a problem for you anymore.

For bass heavy noise cancelling headphones, i can strongly reccomend the PSB M4U2 headphones. Expensive, but for the amount of versatility they have, they are great.

So yeah, Beyerdyanmic DT-770 Pro + E11 headphone amp - that's my reccomendation.

I live in Australia and those two would cost me about $320, so if you are in the US or europe you should be able to get them both for under $250.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #17 of 65
Go for e7k (the newest) fiio, i used it on xb400 and oh god....put it to bass 10+ and treble +6, welcome to audioheaven! :D with amp, u might not wanna worry how much bass that can be pumped out of the cans but HOW WELL the headphones can handle bass and very low frequency response (my XB400 lowest frequency is 4Hz). WIth those portable amps, rock on!

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #18 of 65
 People are avoiding the obvious because mentioning them means ostracization. Studio Beats are what you're looking for, The have more bass than the LP2's and they're also louder. They also have a way better soundstage than the LP2's and sweeter mids. V-Moda is the cool name on this forum however and Val has endeared himself to the populace, but I own both LP2's and Studio Beats and this is the truth. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #19 of 65
The XB1000's leak quite a bit if they are turned up loud. In fact the only way you can play them over 50% without the person sitting next to you being able to hear also is turning everything but the bass down lower (volume wise) in an equalizer or something. I have owned the 1000's and the 700's, both have overall less bass quality and quantity than the Ultrasone Pro 900's and Ultrasone Sig Dj's. Ultrasone make the best quality bass overall than any headphone that advertises having lots of bass. If the headphone is all about "bass" its probably going to lack in other regions and sound muddy and overall just terrible.

Go for a solid pair of headphones that put an emphasis on bass, while still sounding good in the mids and highs - like a nice pair of Denons or the Ultrasones I mentioned.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 65
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Their bass is kinda loose and it tends to drown other sounds too much. Generally if you think their looks are worth an extra $100-200 on top of the middling sound quality you might consider Beats. Otherwise there are much better headphones at the same price range.

And for non-leaky headphones with a good, prominent bass I would look at the general closed-back repertoire. ATH-M50 is the flavor-of-the-month, Denons (D400, D600 etc.) tend to have pretty good bass. My own choice is Focal Spirit One for the more bassy stuff. The bass goes deep and hard when needed without overwhelming other frequencies. Formerly mentioned Beyerdynamic DT770 is good too, though judging by what you're saying you might have a more emphasized bass instead of just tight and clear bass.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 65
Studio Beats are ugly imo. Basically all of the Beats line are ugly and much better looking headphones are all over the place if you're going for looks. It's pretty much a dead urban legend that people are still buying them for looks. Anyone that knows actual Beats owners (and I know a LOT) knows that the overwhelming majority of Beats owners believe Beats are about the best sounding set of headphones on the planet. I have challenged Beats owners and they've picked Beats over Sennheiser 650's, 800's, LCD2's calling them"too thin" sounding. You think they're idiots and they think you're idiots. Just wish both sides could understand there are different preferences for listening to music. 

Of course seeking objectivity on the internet is an impossible task but still fun to throw the idea out there. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 65
The XB1000's leak quite a bit if they are turned up loud. In fact the only way you can play them over 50% without the person sitting next to you being able to hear also is turning everything but the bass down lower (volume wise) in an equalizer or something. I have owned the 1000's and the 700's, both have overall less bass quality and quantity than the Ultrasone Pro 900's and Ultrasone Sig Dj's. Ultrasone make the best quality bass overall than any headphone that advertises having lots of bass. If the headphone is all about "bass" its probably going to lack in other regions and sound muddy and overall just terrible.

Go for a solid pair of headphones that put an emphasis on bass, while still sounding good in the mids and highs - like a nice pair of Denons or the Ultrasones I mentioned.

This. If you truly want the best bass, not just fart cannons, try this - an amp like my BK, fed into a ZO on high gain, fed into Ultrasone Pro900's. UNREAL bass with quality and still habpve mids and highs. If you haven't tried it, it is the bet basshead experience and I've tried a lot of headphones. The key is how they are fed and the quality of the headphone.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 65
 People are avoiding the obvious because mentioning them means ostracization. Studio Beats are what you're looking for, The have more bass than the LP2's and they're also louder. They also have a way better soundstage than the LP2's and sweeter mids. V-Moda is the cool name on this forum however and Val has endeared himself to the populace, but I own both LP2's and Studio Beats and this is the truth. 

:thumbs up:

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:
This. If you truly want the best bass, not just fart cannons, try this - an amp like my BK, fed into a ZO on high gain, fed into Ultrasone Pro900's. UNREAL bass with quality and still habpve mids and highs. If you haven't tried it, it is the bet basshead experience and I've tried a lot of headphones. The key is how they are fed and the quality of the headphone.

Uh huh. But that's the best bass experience for YOU. A large number of people don't consider Beats "fart cannons". Just about every pair of Beats ever sold since inception has had a demo version on display to listen to, and it's still the world's best selling headphone. The Op said LP2's had too little bass. Studio Beats has more bass and it's louder. Without a headphone amp, no other set of cans is going to come close to giving him that "ton of bass" he's looking for.

He said he's using an iPod touch. I try to explain the headphone amp experience to Beats users and they point out that it's stupid, clumsy, and it's PITA taking pictures, videos, and doing other stuff. Beats are so loud that they don't need a headphone amp, and without the amp he can also use the mic to take calls and do voice commands and other things. 

Now Beats is not my ideal portable experience because I'm not a basehead. 90% of the latest portable cans have too much bass for me. But I understand that people have different listening preferences than me and I respect that. To the Op I say just go to the store and listen, because Beats are in every store. There's also a wide selection of other brands BECAUSE of Beats. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #29 of 65
Uh huh. But that's the best bass experience for YOU. A large number of people don't consider Beats "fart cannons". Just about every pair of Beats ever sold since inception has had a demo version on display to listen to, and it's still the world's best selling headphone. The Op said LP2's had too little bass. Studio Beats has more bass and it's louder. Without a headphone amp, no other set of cans is going to come close to giving him that "ton of bass" he's looking for.

He said he's using an iPod touch. I try to explain the headphone amp experience to Beats users and they point out that it's stupid, clumsy, and it's PITA taking pictures, videos, and doing other stuff. Beats are so loud that they don't need a headphone amp, and without the amp he can also use the mic to take calls and do voice commands and other things. 

Now Beats is not my ideal portable experience because I'm not a basehead. 90% of the latest portable cans have too much bass for me. But I understand that people have different listening preferences than me and I respect that. To the Op I say just go to the store and listen, because Beats are in every store. There's also a wide selection of other brands BECAUSE of Beats. 

I actually wasn't referring to Beats, more like my old Sony XB500's. They were fart cannons X10. The higher up the headphone quality ladder the better opportunity to experience what I described. Someone will see the basshead world in a completely new light if they just try the setup I described. No skin off my nose if no one tries it. Their loss.

And it's more the setup feeding the quality phones that I was getting at. My bud has Beats Executives and they are pretty darn good, just too expensive for the value. Even he cannot believe the Pro900 bass quality.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:
There's also a wide selection of other brands BECAUSE of Beats. 

Seriously...

You must mean at Best Buy / Future Shop and their ilk, that is they sell other brands because they sell Beetz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back