Best basshead headphones?
Jul 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #61 of 65
Old thread but ill throw in my $0.02 for future visitors. I primarily use my sennheiser hd8 djs for my music. I have 3 headphones that I have used recently that I would consider bass heavy.

First one at $99 is the sony mdrx10. Un amped and playing through my rooted note 2 with the gain modified delivers a pretty good experience for the money with edm and trance and some rap. On a 800 mile greyhound bus ride I used them to listen to artists such as smile.dk and captain jack and cascada and they seemed to do pretty good.

Next up is the beats pro at $400. I used these for a few days while I was back in Detroit for a few days. I mostly used my rooted note 2 and a pc with a asus xonar card. They seemed to have a little more bass than the sonys and a bit louder but wasnt worth the 4x cost imo.

The final headphone that I used are the sennheiser hd8 djs. Having used them as my primary headphones for the last little while I found them to be the best all round. Un amped they are still loud but not enough for me. When combined with my fiio e12 headphone amp it is the best I have used in a long time. Bass is clearer and deeper than the beats pro and sony mdrx10. They sound great with a wide variety of music, just 1 or 2 songs they seem to have an issue with that I have heard so far, one of which is wishmaster from nightwish. Other than that they are nearly perfect for what I mostly listen to. Out of the 3 it is the most comfortable after a small break in period, best built, best sounding, and most immersive. This is the first over ear set I can fall asleep wearing. For about $520 for the headphones with the amp I have no regrets buying these.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #62 of 65
Hi, i know this is an old thread, but i have used some XB500's for the last 3 years, and since my roommate had some beats (solo and studio), we compared them.

The XB500's were the deepest and loudest overall, without speakers and connected to a DolbyHT v4 laptop soundcard, with some equalization even the prevailing bass can be tamed and the sound was just clear enough for some classical symphonic music.

The SOLO's were similar to the sony's, but they lacked the clarity on the upper frequencies, and the bass wasn't even as loud and punchy as the xb's.

The Studio's were the more balanced, and keeping the same equalization on the pc, they had less (or should i say "more controlled - less prevalent") bass, resulting in a wider enjoyable freq range.

Overall, based on my personal taste and experience, you couldn't beat the price/quality ratio of the XB500 (i bought them off amazon for 38€ - yes i'm in europe - in 2011). Needless to say that the beats are well overpriced, and that if you spend more than i did you get better headphones.
If only sony didn't stop making them!

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #64 of 65
I think the Sony XB-500 and 700 are great for bass heads while still delivering good performance in the highs and mids, especially the 700s.

I realize this thread is very old but I'm in the market for some new bass headphones. I have the XB-500 and recently bought some Beats Studios but quickly returned them. They sounded so weak to me not very loud and there was no punch to them the bass sounded very weak. 

I want to know are the 700 or 1000 a HUGE upgrade to the XB-500 that I have? I basically want something with the same or better bass as the 500 but that will also give me better mids/treble what fits the bill here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back