Best bass-heavy cans for electronic/industrial music?
Sep 13, 2007 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dmcs414

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new to head-fi and new to the hi-fi headphone obsession, and in my short time lurking here I've come up with some questions I thought best addressed in a thread. I realize this topic is covered in any number of other threads about different headphones, amps, sources, music in general, etc, though I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the subject.

To give you a little background, I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD595s and a Chaintech AV710, and I have a Little Dot II++ on the way to me from China. I'm probably going to scrap the AV710 and get a better sound device for my computer like an Emu 0404usb or some decent DAC.

Anyhow, from reading the good reviews here along with the Appreciation thread, reviews on other sites, etc, I bought the HD595s thinking they'd be an all-around decent pair of "entry hi-fi" or "mid-fi" cans that would suit my varied music tastes. They aren't bad, but the trouble is, though my music tastes are indeed varied (electronic/industrial, rock/metal, jazz, classical, world/newage, vocal) I find the HD595s just don't have near enough (any) bass for my electronic or industrial music (Aphex Twin, Orbital, BT, Rammstein, haujobb, Wumpscut, to name a few) which makes up a large portion of my overall listening time these days. So the HD595s are going to the wife who loves them for Tori Amos and I need to get some new cans for myself.

I'm looking for some headphones which will have exceedingly good, hard, punchy, yet detailed and accurate bass for my electronic and industrial music while still sounding good or even great at classical, jazz, vocals and the like, and hopefully cost no more than $500, preferably less (new or used from a head-fier). And if they pair well with my Little Dot II++, all the better!

From doing some more research here, I've narrowed down a list of possible candidates, which I'm hoping to get some more input from you all on. These are not listed in any particular order.

1. V3 Darth Beyers
2. Denon AH-D2000/5000
3. Beyerdynamic DT990
4. JVC DX1000
5. Audio Technica A900

So please share your opinions as they relate to my quest to find the perfect cans! If I'm missing any good candidate headphones, please tell me and why. I appreciate your time and input!

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 2
Welcome
-
Search back through the forum the last couple of days. There was a similar question within the past day or two with a number of responses (it is also a question asked and answered many times over and you may be able to find some good guidance by using the search function too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back