Best Bass Headphones!
Dec 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

parakeetman007

New Head-Fier
I currently have a few akg and audio technica headphones. These are great for about 85% of my music, but some electronic music and dubstep would sound good with a bit more bass than these two brands have. Price doesn't really matter to me, but I would prefer that it is under 500$. I'm looking for a lot of bass, but without distortion.
Thank you!

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 28
For Basshead cans under 500 I would suggest the HE-400 or HE-4. The HE-4 are really hard to drive so those will require an investment on a good amp. I haven't heard either yet, I have a pair of HE-400 on their way. The Beyerdynamics DT770 have a nice bass impact but they do not compare to my MarkL modded D2000. I enjoy them both a lot but for electronic music I grab the D2Ks more often than not. I usually enjoy the DT-770s more with rock where the recessed mids of the D2Ks are a little lacking. I will do a comparison with the HE-400 once I get back to the states but from what I've read, they outperform the D2Ks in every aspect so I'm eager to stack em against my modded pair.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 28
Also if money is no object. You might want to look into Audeze's headphones, I forget which one is supposed to be the darker sounding one. Also look into the Fostex TH600 and TH900.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 28
Thanks PXSS. I was actually thinking about the HE-400. How do they compare with the Ultrasone Pro 900 (that was a headphone that I was seriously considering as well)?
i haven't heard or read much about the pro 900 to be of much help but this thread might be useful.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637560/hifiman-he-400-vs-ultrasone-pro-900

D2000 vs Pro 900 Comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573371/denon-d2000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-a-review-and-comparison

After reading that, I would definitely stay away from the ultrasones. I am extremely sensitive to my D2000 sibilance and I have gone through a great extent to reduce it through mods and proper dac/amp pairing. Even then, after a long day of work or school, I cannot handle the sibilance of the D2000 for long listening session. Keep in mind that I am very sensitive to sibilance and this may not pose a problem to you.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 28
Yeah. I have heard many complaints with sibilance in the pro 900. The problem is there is no place in town where I could really test out the pro 900, so I would never know how strong the sibilance is (unless I buy it). My akg k551 have a little bit of sibilance, but for the most part I can handle the amount that they have. That article is making me lean more towards the he-400. 

The d2000 definitely has enough sibilance for me to notice, but it doesn't necessarily bother me.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 28
Look around. I'm sure that there are plenty of comparisons around so that you can make the bedt decision based on your needs. One thing I've notoced is that everyone calls the Pro 900 the 'bass king', so it must really have some impressive bass.

If you buy from amazon or a big retailer, they usually have pretty good return policies, if you can afford it, it might be a better option to buy both the HE-400 and the Pro 900, compare them for a couple of days and return whichever one you do not like.

What Dac/Amp do you plan on using?

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 28
The HE-400 has sibilance as well, but it can be more or less completely eliminated by using EQ. Get a good, free parametric EQ like EasyQ or ElectriQ and you will be good to go. Also, if you get the HE-400, try the velour pads and also try making your pleather pads into Jergpads. Just search for Jergpads here to find instructions. It makes a huge difference. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 28
I was looking for something similar to you, and so far I think i have it narrowed down to the HE-400 which have already been mentioned, but am also considering the Beyerdynamic 990 and the Phillips X1 since they both apparently tote similar bass performance while also being an open design, but a faction of the price and much easier to drive.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 28
  I was looking for something similar to you, and so far I think i have it narrowed down to the HE-400 which have already been mentioned, but am also considering the Beyerdynamic 990 and the Phillips X1 since they both apparently tote similar bass performance while also being an open design, but a faction of the price and much easier to drive.

I had the DT-990 and currently own the HE-400. A lot has been said about their differences on these forums. Basically, the two offer a similar sound signature, but the HE-400 just does everything better. However, you would need an amp and DAC beyond entry level / Fiio grade for the difference to be worth the money. If you don't want to spend at least $200 or so on an amp and DAC, just get the DT-990 Pro. It's great for the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back