Best bass headphones?
Oct 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roksraka

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

Me again... still can't make up my mind on what to buy. I'm looking for some decent full-sized headphones for under 120 dollars, which have POWERFUL BASS!!! I'd also like them to look good. For now, my primary choice is Sony MDR-XB700. What do you think of these headphones? Are there any better ones? What do you recommend?
P.S.: They have to be comfortable, as I will be sitting at my computer for hours at a time (making electronic music).

thanks!
L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 15
Shure 440, in terms of sheer and raw power...what else comes close? Nothing I can think of. Outside of that Id get the Beyerdynamic 770 closed back for around that price.
Both are better than the sonys by a significant margin

Im actually picking up the 30mm version for 30 bucks very soon. Dont get me wrong they are nice sonys, but not even close to the above listed.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 15
i've heard that Shure 440 are good headphones, but some people said, that they're not really for bass junkies (i dont think I'm one of them, but i still like lots of bass!). They say that bass is much smoother and relaxed... swbf2cheater, i see you own a pair, be totally honest with me: how's the bass, comfort and sound quality?

Althoug, I don't believe anything can get more comfortable than Sony MDR-XB700.

please reply and thanks for help! =)

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 15
If you're going to be seriously making music, a monitor headphone with a flatter freq response would be better. But I'm guessing that you will be doing beats and stuff on Garage Band so the DT770 would do the trick.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 15
No I won't do any studio work and recordings... i need them mostly for music listening, but now I'm also trying to get into electronic music (i played with Garageband quite a lot). Problem with Shure 440 is the coiled cable. I really hate such cables. Another thing that bothers me, the padding and the comfort. Looks like the padding is quite thin, resulting in more pressure to the ear, rather than to your head. I you take a look at Sony MDR-XB700, those are like having pillow or maybe even mattresses on your ears. Still, you can't go out with them - you would look like an alien :S

Still can't decide...

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, if bass is what you're after try the Monster Beats by Dre Studio ANC phones.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roksraka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I won't do any studio work and recordings... i need them mostly for music listening, but now I'm also trying to get into electronic music (i played with Garageband quite a lot). Problem with Shure 440 is the coiled cable. I really hate such cables. Another thing that bothers me, the padding and the comfort. Looks like the padding is quite thin, resulting in more pressure to the ear, rather than to your head. I you take a look at Sony MDR-XB700, those are like having pillow or maybe even mattresses on your ears. Still, you can't go out with them - you would look like an alien :S

Still can't decide...

Oh dear, Garageband...

tongue.gif
, honestly, the DT150 has some of the deepest, most visceral, clean, and detailed bass I've heard in headphones. Overall, they have a very clean, detailed sound with a wide soundstage; excellent for well-mastered electronica.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 15
I have both the Sony mdr xb700 and BEATs by Dre, and let tell you that the Sony gets way more head time. They almost dare you crack up bass. But their most notable features are build quality and superior comfortably. (but a bit warm at times)For 75$(shipped mind you you can't really go wrong. Also they are BIG! If you have the chance to demo them at a Sony store you will see what I'm talking about. Its because of that they are primarily my home phones and my BEATs gets out more. But that comfort is no joke! As far as I know they go deep really deep(bass). Not as deep as the BEATs but the BEATs have built in amplification and will still distort if pushed to hard. Something I'm sure that if you amplified the Sony somehow the BEATs have no chance. If I find a better portable headphone. The BEATs will be given away to one of my family members.(they'd like that I'm sure)

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the Sony mdr xb700 and BEATs by Dre, and let tell you that the Sony gets way more head time. They almost dare you crack up bass. But their most notable features are build quality and superior comfortably. (but a bit warm at times)For 75$(shipped mind you you can't really go wrong. Also they are BIG! If you have the chance to demo them at a Sony store you will see what I'm talking about. Its because of that they are primarily my home phones and my BEATs gets out more. But that comfort is no joke! As far as I know they go deep really deep(bass). Not as deep as the BEATs but the BEATs have built in amplification and will still distort if pushed to hard. Something I'm sure that if you amplified the Sony somehow the BEATs have no chance. If I find a better portable headphone. The BEATs will be given away to one of my family members.(they'd like that I'm sure)

If your Beats are distorting at all, change the batteries. When they're operating properly, you cannot get them loud enough to distort...You would blow your ears out first.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 15
@kwkart

In tracks like Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom pow or Smitty feat Robin Thicke--Died In Your Arms Tonight on my sansa fuze with a custom EQ @ 10.6.4.2.4 they will distort but not considerably. Yep even on lower volumes. The Sony has not had this problem. Just to note that on flat EQ they don't distort at all. What I was getting at is that the BEATs for the retailed value of 300$ just don't seem to wow me as much more over the Sony. Let me just say mark up on headphone like the BEATs are crazy. I got them shipped at 126$ and Sony for 47$. The 79$ difference just has me thinking as to what really goes into the headphones we buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back