Best *Bass* headphone for working out
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

b1lf

New Head-Fier
There are a bunch of threads out here relating to this topic vaguely, so yes I did search, but some of these threads are a few years old ----- and technology moves quickly so I'd like to start a fresh thread. Thanks in advance for understanding.

1. I have nice over-ear headphones for critical listening
  2. I have Bose ie2's for sports but they're corded and the SQ sucks (though they stick in my ear's nicely when the cord isn't being tugged and I love the controls)
  3. I have Photive PH-BTE50 Bluetooth headphones that I mainly use for running and working out currently
    1. ​the SQ is OK for the price, but now I have to re-pair every single time I use them; and the battery is ****. I can still bear with them for running for now?

I want to get a pair of IEMs that are BASS HEAVY... I wouldn't consider myself a basshead exactly but I guess every time I hear extra bass (head phones, home theater, car audio) - I tend to like it so I guess I am?

I also would prefer they have "ear canal hooks" like the Bose ie2 or the Photives.

These:

Even though they're wired which is guess is OK for lifting (which I'm primarily doing now), the Sony MDR-XB90EX don't encorporate these which doesn't give me the confidence they'll stay in my ears - despite my searching on here as they are the best extra bass IEMs.

My ideal budget is < $100. If there's a great, bang for buck model, at like $40, I'd be ecstatic so don't just pick a full-budget model at $100 for the hell of it --- but I work out 3-6 times per week so I'll be getting great use out of these.

I have an iPhone 6...... likely get a 7/7s in ~a year.... so perhaps bluetooth is the way to go to avoid having to use a lightening adapter at the gym?

What about the Sony MDRXB50BS/B ?----- they were $58 on Amazon Prime last week and I just checked and they jumped to $78 (d*mmit)

Jaybird/jawbone/etc etc etc????

Again.... I like a lot of bass, I guess.

Thanks for the help!
Bill

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 19
Jaybird X3s are great but a bit over budget.

I'd also recommend SE215s. You wear the cable over ear so it won't fall out while working out. Microphonic noise is reduced from wearing the cable over ear (important when you're moving around while listening). They don't have those clip thingies, but this is how they fit. Overall, they sound very warm and I think you'd like them from reading your post. Having a lightning adapter at the gym isn't a big deal tbh. Bluetooth is very convenient though.

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 19
Jaybird X3s are great but a bit over budget.

I'd also recommend SE215s. You wear the cable over ear so it won't fall out while working out. Microphonic noise is reduced from wearing the cable over ear (important when you're moving around while listening). They don't have those clip thingies, but this is how they fit. Overall, they sound very warm and I think you'd like them from reading your post. Having a lightning adapter at the gym isn't a big deal tbh. Bluetooth is very convenient though.

I guess at $130 that's not bad for the Jaybird X3.... is the SQ better for the Shures?

Any other options from anyone else?

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 19
Those look great but no "ear fins/hooks"? Do you have them? Decent for gym use?

I own the GR07BE and can tell you they are a fantastic fit, and with the cord looped around the ear you will never have to worry about them falling out. If their sound signature interests you, I'm here to tell you they would work great in the gym. Out of the many IEM's I own, they "lock in" my ears the best. Very solid and comfortable fit. And they sound damn good as well. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 19
I own the GR07BE and can tell you they are a fantastic fit, and with the cord looped around the ear you will never have to worry about them falling out. If their sound signature interests you, I'm here to tell you they would work great in the gym. Out of the many IEM's I own, they "lock in" my ears the best. Very solid and comfortable fit. And they sound damn good as well. 

Do they came with around the ear style hooks as well? I see the non-bass edition GR07 did/does?

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 19
Yes they do, but I don't use them and have never had a problem with them coming out of my ears. 

Cool thanks!

Well solid option however I see some pretty negative reviews out there with these things breaking after a relatively short period of time (less than one year).

Combine that with an essentially unknown brand (to me) and I'm a bit iffy - that said it's a solid contender and I def appreciate your input/help.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 19
You might look into Comply tips to help whatever you buy. They make a sport version. I've caught my earphones wire on something and had the earphone come out and the Comply tip stay in. It was a hard pull but they do stay in very well. Just a thought. Here is a link. http://www.complyfoam.com/

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 19
You might look into Comply tips to help whatever you buy. They make a sport version. I've caught my earphones wire on something and had the earphone come out and the Comply tip stay in. It was a hard pull but they do stay in very well. Just a thought. Here is a link. http://www.complyfoam.com/

Wow, cool man. I've always stayed away from foam because I think of a 'styrofoam feel' in my ears, but those awesome and memory foam in the ear sounds promising! Would probably hold up better for sweat.

That could put the Sony's I mentioned in the first post back into the mix, or surely make the VSonic stick in my ear well (if the supplied ones dont) - without the ear hooks.

Good lookin' out guys! I really appreciate the help.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Wow, cool man. I've always stayed away from foam because I think of a 'styrofoam feel' in my ears, but those awesome and memory foam in the ear sounds promising! Would probably hold up better for sweat.

That could put the Sony's I mentioned in the first post back into the mix, or surely make the VSonic stick in my ear well (if the supplied ones dont) - without the ear hooks.

Good lookin' out guys! I really appreciate the help.
After awhile you hardly notice them I use them in all my iem's. You have to find the size you need . They are a bit pricey at around $15 for three pairs but to me worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back