Best bass - Grado SR-60 or SR80
Feb 21, 2006 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

divad68

New Head-Fier
Although I've searched these forums and found numerous threads comparing these two headphones, there seems to be conflicting reports on which has the best bass.

I know 'best' is going to be very much down to individual opinion, so I'd be grateful to hear simply how the two compare in terms of bass - weight/impact, depth, amount etc.

I fancy buying one or the other to try the Grado sound and although I never thought of myself as a 'basshead' I really love the Sennheiser HD485's bass presentation (via my 5G ipod), so I guess I'd go with the ones that have the strongest bass.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 6
"Built on the same features as the SR60, but utilizes a 4 conductor connecting cable and larger ear cushions, the result of which gives a more open stage. The SR80 provides an improved bass resonance, which enhances the overall detail."

I found this on the Grado website. I think the difference might be smaller than you'd expect though, from listening to the differences in the SR80s - 225's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1
SR-80 indeed has better bass than the SR-60.

Agree, and it's actually mostly related to the pads. You could get the same effect by buying the SR-80 pads separately.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Agree, and it's actually mostly related to the pads. You could get the same effect by buying the SR-80 pads separately.

I agree that the bass is very dependant on the pads. When I first got my SR80'3 that had the bowl pads and there was NOOOO bass. as soon as I switched to the RS modded comfy there was much more bass. When I went to the modded 414 pads the bass really showed up and then, ultimately, with the flat pads the bass was really quite good.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 6
I played around with (um...I mean TESTED) both the 60's and 80's when I was looking to buy (at the time, the 125's and above were over my budget....) and when doing a number of A/B tests at my local dealer, I really attributed about 75-80% of the improvement that I heard (subjective improvement to MY ears) to the style of pad on them. To me the 80's sounded more open with more clarity and a better low end. I ended up going with the 80's and haven't regretted it. And, the pads are like 15 bucks or so....so you may as well just go for the 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back