Best bass freak cans under 110
Jul 16, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 43
I second the vote for HD 280 Pro.. Great bass, but does a pretty good job with everything else as well.. DT770 would hands down be the obvious choice, but you have to catch those quick cause at 150 bucks they usually get snatched up pretty quick. And you rarely see the 80 ohm model go for much less...

JD

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #34 of 43
well then if thats the case what other headphones (besides the DT770 everyone has told me and the HD212's which though they have good extension they lack any great impact which is what he's lookin for (me as well) thnx for the help guys

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I find the comments on the HD 280 quite confusing. Some people say it has great bass and some people say it lacks bass.

They're like 595 but with reverberating low bass when it's there on the recording. Above that low bass, 280 more or less neutral so you can imagine similarly like when people say 595 are bass shy.

If only 280's mids and treble sound like 595 ... =)

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aita
well then if thats the case what other headphones (besides the DT770 everyone has told me and the HD212's which though they have good extension they lack any great impact which is what he's lookin for (me as well) thnx for the help guys

The Super.Fi 5 EB will not disappoint but he'll have to save up a bit since they list at $200.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 43
I get confused about the HD280 comments on bass as well. The pair that I had produced tons of wonderful deep bass, but only with a very good seal. A small leak around my glasses was enough to seriousl attenuate the bass, and glasses plus cold pads that had not yet taken a set resulted in pitiful bass. I suspect that fit variation is the main cause for the varied results among owners.

I see the HD280 used in the $50 to $70 range, and new in the $70 to $100 range. They are a very satisfying listen for the money, imho. Foldability is a major plus, headband durability and sweaty earpads are the downsides. Earpad swap to fuzzy pads is feasible, but it killed the bass when I tried it.

gerG

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #38 of 43
I don't think true bass freaks would like the lack of mid bass on the 280s in my opinion. Bass freaks want bass everywhere, not just at the low end
280smile.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithos
I don't think true bass freaks would like the lack of mid bass on the 280s in my opinion. Bass freaks want bass everywhere, not just at the low end
280smile.gif

Yeah!
basshead.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithos
280smile.gif

actually, your right. I'm not a bass freak, but I want some impact on snare drums, and othe impactful things...

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
If you want a lot of bass under $100, you should check out the AKG 240s. I think it has too much bass personally, particularly upper bass, but if that's your thing...

If you've got a Guitar Center around you should be able to pick them up for around $75 (I got them for $80, including the 8.25% sales tax). You'll have to negotiate the price down, but they aren't generally that hard to work if you've got decent negotiating skills.

Ditto great bass head cans. Almost as much bass as the beyer 770s.

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Ditto great bass head cans. Almost as much bass as the beyer 770s.

I haven't compared the two side by side, but from memory the Super.Fi EB had a lot more bass than the DT770. It's like strapping subwoofers you your ears!
basshead.gif
For me, it was way too much bass for everything but action movies (and even then it could be a bit overwhelming). On the other hand, the DT770 is more balanced with a bass emphasis. Both have plenty of impact.

Jul 17, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I haven't compared the two side by side, but from memory the Super.Fi EB had a lot more bass than the DT770. It's like strapping subwoofers you your ears!
basshead.gif
For me, it was way too much bass for everything but action movies (and even then it could be a bit overwhelming). On the other hand, the DT770 is more balanced with a bass emphasis. Both have plenty of impact.

ooh now I want to try out those super fi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back