Best bass earbuds?
Nov 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #136 of 140
Oh man, this is such a great thread. Instant classic! Remember how the OP kept asking for different buds to look into but never actually listened to anyone? Good times.

I'm surprised no one suggested the JBL Synchros E10, my favorite budget basshead earphone. They're conveniently available at any Walmart for $40. They give the bass a HUGE boost, but they don't destroy the rest of the presentation because of it. There's still good clarity/tonality through the mids and highs, and it doesn't invent bass in places where no bass was actually recorded. Well, not much anyway.

As a guy who typically likes a flat sound sig, the E10 is one of the rare bassmonsters that I still genuinely enjoy putting in from time to time. The E10 is the Klipsch Status of earphones. I see the Status as what you'd get if you dosed a PSB M4U 1 with steroids. The phrase "wall of bass" comes to mind often when rocking the Status or E10.

Seriously check out the JBL's, I hardly ever hear about anyone else rocking them. No wonder the OP was still looking :)

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #138 of 140
Also, the Grado IGi has surprisingly excellent bass extension, going Lowwwwwww. That's another underrated earphone, IMO. Grado somehow pulled off forward lows and highs without suffering from recessed mids at the same time, something that makes so many V-shaped 'phones sound bad to me. I don't know how to describe it, let alone how they did it. They probably had to stuff loads of expensive bass ports in to compensate for their balanced armchair drivers.

Ok seriously though, I like a lot of IEMs with a bass-forward presentation, so long as they don't stray TOO far from a balanced baseline (pun intended of course)

While probably too balanced to ever really be "basshead" 'phones, the Harman Kardon AE-S and Ostry KC06a both have a real thump to their sounds. The AE-S has this gorgeous rich tonality to the sound, like its brass nozzles take on qualities of brass wind instruments. Then the KC06a sounds effortless as it extends as low and sustains gravelly basslines as well as anything, especially considering the sub-$40 price tag ($35ish on massdrop). If I had to choose just one, it would probably be the Ostry, but it would be a painful decision.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #139 of 140
Oh I'll give you earbuds. Bassy ones? Alright.

How's this for a basshead @ 5 dollars. Beat that:

TY Hi-Z 32 Ohm. Just awesome stadium stage, super bass and all-round earbuds!

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #140 of 140
http://www.head-fi.org/t/843190/the-7-cubu-earbud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back