best bang for the buck at $150
May 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 35
May 16, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #18 of 35
If you want to be able to keep your headphones in your pocket then how about the Audio Technica ATH-CKS77BK?

There is currently a thread about them right now on Head-Fi and they are being talked about as if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. If all the hype about them is true, and so far it seems to be true, then at around $100 these things are an absolute steal. 

May 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 35
I second Shure SE215, they are 'fun' pair of IEMs and built pretty darn strong. I have been using them for a year while biking, running, gym and general daily activity. I rarely keep put them in the case and they have snagged on to thing more times then I can count and after all that beating they are finally showing signs. The bass is great, not over bearing, sometimes they can get muddy with vocals. I also find them comfortable and the noise isolation is great for almost any scenario. The isolation isn't as good as etymotics but then again etymotics make it seem like the sound is in the middle of your head while the shures don't.

May 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
If you want to be able to keep your headphones in your pocket then how about the Audio Technica ATH-CKS77BK?

There is currently a thread about them right now on Head-Fi and they are being talked about as if they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. If all the hype about them is true, and so far it seems to be true, then at around $100 these things are an absolute steal. 

i was just looking at the ATH-CKS77, are they really as good as the hype? if they are that would be sweet. cheaper then the 3 i was looking at before, but still wondering how they compare with the se215, the EPH- 100, and the GR07? 

anyone want to shed some light for me, cause my current ones are on their last leg and i would really like to get my new pair. :) trying to be patient!

May 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 35
Well I've listen to them for a few hours because a friend has them and at least imo they aren't as good as they've been hyped up to be.  The mid-bass is just way to much and the don't sound as even and are a little to air sounding for my taste.

The EPH-100 is a great IEM but you should really look at the Rockit Sounds R-50 unless you don't want a BA, they sound better than all 3 of the IEM's your looking at.  The R-50 sounds as good or better than every IEM I have and can hold their own with sets costing 2 and 3 times as much.  For $119.99 you can beat the build and sound quality they possess and with these the hype is well deserved.  I did a side by side with the R-50 and GR01 and the sound 98% the same and joker gave the GR01 a 9.2 for sound quality.  The only thing I would say is that if your a big bass head than the R-50 might not be the best but thats not to say they're bass light as they have good impact and can go quite deep just not like the MG7 or some of the Monster Turbines.

May 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
I second Shure SE215, they are 'fun' pair of IEMs and built pretty darn strong. I have been using them for a year while biking, running, gym and general daily activity. I rarely keep put them in the case and they have snagged on to thing more times then I can count and after all that beating they are finally showing signs. The bass is great, not over bearing, sometimes they can get muddy with vocals. I also find them comfortable and the noise isolation is great for almost any scenario. The isolation isn't as good as etymotics but then again etymotics make it seem like the sound is in the middle of your head while the shures don't.

+1

Why not search for Fischer Audio? They are renowned for best bang for the buck. I have the FA-004 and I have been enjoying them so far. Also,the design looks retro

Why don't you try DBA-02? It's got a good reputation on head-fi

May 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Why don't you try DBA-02? It's got a good reputation on head-fi

The Rockit Sounds R-50 is the perfect DBA-02 replacement because it has all the detail and qualities that make the DBA good but with out the sibilant treble and a little bit better bass response, plus they only cost $119.99 shipped.

May 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 35
Man that sounds like an attempt at marketing a product rather than a compromising point.

The DBA02s are only offensively sibilant without a poor deep fit. "Better bass" usually means more, but in terms of absolute fidelity for bass, less is more (better) as it conforms to higher transparency. Have you tried the DBA02/B2? 

Regardless I only recommend the DBA02/B2 if found for a good price second hand, as there's really no big benefit (warranty) buying them new. Rockit R-50s do seem like a nice product for this price-range as well, the Ety HF series is a proven product and the A161 if you want something accessible. 

The current GR07s are a nice option as well, just bit behind these in the SQ department. 

May 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #26 of 35
I'm just not a fan over really bright highs which imo is what the DBA-02/B2 have (and yes I've heard them).  I just think for the price range the op is talking about that the R-50 would do nicely.  I compared the R-50 with the GR01 about a week and half ago and they sound pretty much exactly the same and with the R-50 being $60 cheaper its just a wonderful deal.  I feel its a good choice for anyone that wants a IEM with great detail along with a very nice soundstage and adds a bit of warmth to the presentation.  I know i'm becoming the R-50 fanboy extraordinaire but thats just how much I like them and think many others would to if they just tried them out.  Also they're built really well and I don't feel like I have to baby them at all and the memory wire is some of the best I've come across, way better than the TF10's but really what one isn't.

May 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 35
It can be, tip and and insertion depth play a role there and the type of recordings one listens to. I will have to try them again as it's been a while, but they are a bit hot in the higher treble, but don't remember them as sibilant. Some are fine with it, some are not, there are factors to consider. 

May 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #28 of 35
One of the first quality IEM's I bought was the HF5 and at first I loved them because I never heard that kind of detail before.  Then after a couple of weeks the highs just started to get to me, I don't want to say they annoyed its just a sound signature thats not for me so I returned them.

Now at the $100 to $150 price point there really are a lot of IEM's to choose but the R-50, MG7, EPH-100 and Creative Aurvana IE3 would all work well for the op imo.

May 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #29 of 35
right now you can get the Monster Turbine for $75.00 @ Amazon,  pretty good sounding, pretty much the same sound as the Shure SE215 but better and clearer highs, the SE215 cable is like 12inch to long, the plug will not fit any device with a cover on it (to wide) and there's a learning curve to get a proper seal and put them in on.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/416736/monster-turbine-appreciation-thread

Another bang for the buck is the new Velodyne VPulse ($89.00) comes with mic and controls and if you are a fan of the the flat cable they are perfect,  Deeper bass you can get on a IEM without been muddy or creeping into the mids.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596135/velodyne-vpulse-review-bass-lovers-rejoice/45

May 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 35
i was just looking at the ATH-CKS77, are they really as good as the hype? if they are that would be sweet. cheaper then the 3 i was looking at before, but still wondering how they compare with the se215, the EPH- 100, and the GR07? 

anyone want to shed some light for me, cause my current ones are on their last leg and i would really like to get my new pair. :) trying to be patient!
The ath cks77 are awesome. I bought mine off of eBay for $52 delivered from Hong Kong. Give them a week and they'll perform better than my $150 Denon C710s with bass just as big, airy open treble that's bright but never harsh and a fuller sounding midrange. But even better these display dimension in the music giving the music layers and depth. These are pretty awesome for $52.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back